ES20M "Smart Control" explained?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-14 21:59:59
Tags: #Smart Control
Model: ES20M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Can anyone explain what the Smart Control does on the ES20M (and the other smart dimmer switches) because I'm not sure I get it.  I thought if I turned Smart Control off the light would operate as defined in the "Motion Sensor" and "Ambient Light Sensor" settings.  But the motion sensor doesn't seem to work at all if Smart Control is turned off.

It seems like - the guides on this website seems to agree - you must have a Smart Control schedule defined for the motion sensor to work.  Even if that schedule is "24 hour a day, trigger = Motion, Brightness  100%".

Do I have that right?

Options
3 Reply
Re:ES20M "Smart Control" explained?
2022-11-15 03:49:49 - last edited 2022-11-15 03:54:39

Yes,, and thank goodness. Smart Control on is a requirement for the motion sensor. Once on you now have the option to keep the baseline "always on" program or can shut it off at select times and use the manual only function. Until and unless Kasa gives us a manual ability to turn on and not off via motion sense (A feature I've requested be implemented into a preset capability, which we also need to be able to call. Perhaps via "Long Press" or "Double Press") we're busted. You'll likely end up disabling motion at some times during the day.

Options
2022-11-15 12:57:07

@dafish Thanks for the confirmation and thanks more for the context.

Yeah, I wanted to turn off motion in the middle of the night for our closet light so I had created a smart control schedule that was "manual only" from midnight to 7am.  I had left 7am - midnight blank.  I was surprised when motion still didn't work from 7am - midnight.  Once I figured it out I posted here.

One last question - having no schedule set up is the same as having a schedule created where Trigger = "Manual Only" and Brightness = 100%, is that right?

Options
2022-11-15 20:47:04

@pimmysits 

Happy to have helped.   Mostly correct.  I believe all switches power up to the last brightness setting used unless commanded otherwise.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 336

Replies: 3

Tags

Smart Control