Kasa ES20M dimmer not working

2023-12-13 06:57:34
Model: ES20M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

Hello, 

I'm trying to control a fixture with 4 Tapo L530 2.0 dimmable bulbs with the ES20M dimmer switch. It functions to turn the bulbs on and off. Not dim. 
While the bulbs are fully dimmable from the app, neither the dimming feature on the switch itself, nor the dimming of the switch interface in the Tapo app seem to alter the brightness of any of the bulbs. I already returned one set of smart bulbs (different brand) because I thought that they might be not dimmable because when I reduced the dimming on the switch, the bulbs started flashing and I was told that was a symptom of incompatible LED bulbs. All the promotional material I can find about the Tapo bulbs seems to indicate that they are compatible with conventional dimmers.  
help?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Kasa ES20M dimmer not working
2023-12-13 18:16:44

@Ravinss,

So any kind of smart bulb is going to always require that it is being supplied full power, as it is expecting a consistent power source for operation.

The Tapo bulbs will not function if they are not being given full power, and can only be dimmed via the Tapo App. 

If you want to use the dimming functionality of the ES20M, you would need to use a typical dimmer-compatible light bulb.

Keep in mind that if the ES20M were to turn off or fall below 100%, you would not be able to control the bulbs via the Tapo App. Instead, you would need to first turn on the ES20M to 100%, wait for the bulbs to connect to your Wi-Fi, and then you would be able to control the bulbs in the app.

If you were looking to add a Dimmer control to your wall for the Smart Bulbs, you would need to look towards the S200D - Smart Dimmer Button.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 215

Replies: 1

Related Articles