HS103 plugs unresponsive in Alexa

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-16 18:27:07 - last edited 2022-11-17 17:12:18
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.03

Saw a few notes on the Alexa forums. It looks like some Kada software update broke the connection from Alexa to the Kada HS103 plugs. All of my HS103 plugs are now "unresponsive" on my Alexa. Switched seem to still be working however. 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:HS103 plugs unresponsive in Alexa-Solution
2022-11-17 13:55:17 - last edited 2022-11-17 17:12:18

@BruceGl I spent some time on this last night.  The issue was definitely caused by a software upgrade or something like that.  The plugs worked fine with the Kasa app, just not Alexa.

1. Deleted the plugs from Alexa.

2. Deleted the plugs from Kasa app.

3. When you delete the plug in Kasa it comes back as it's default name - you have to delete that device as well.

4. press and hold the button on the plug to put it into install mode.

5. Go through the process of reconnecting the plug to your wifi network.

6. Name the plug something different than before (ie. change "Bedroom Light" to "BedRoom Light")

7.  Confirm the plug is working once again in Kasa app.

8. Now you should see a new device in Alexa and it will not report as "unresponsive".

This is the only thing that worked for me, but I've got all my plugs working with Alexa again after I went through this process on each one.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-21 02:58:55 - last edited 2022-11-21 02:58:58

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. This was fixed by the team. 

Please check the Alexa feedback on Nov 15, 2022 in below topic and try suggestions or provide additional feedback there,  thank you. 

[Solution] Kasa Devices Offline/ Alexa or Google Integration Broken on Nov 15th

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:HS103 plugs unresponsive in Alexa
2022-11-16 19:57:41

@BruceGl,

You are the first to post on the forums about smart plugs being unavailable in the Alexa App, usually it is the other way around.

Since I haven't seen any other users mention this, I think that they may have been able to regain control by deleting the device from their Alexa App.

I also saw a case where a user named a plug 'Office Light' and Alexa automatically tried to change the device type to a light instead of a plug, thereby breaking control.

Try deleting the devices first from the Alexa App, changing the names of the devices, or setting up the device in the Kasa app with a factory reset to see if the device becomes available in the Alexa app.

Options
2022-11-16 21:55:45

@Riley_S 

Tried all your suggestions.  Also tried disabling the Kasa skill in Alexa and re-enabling it.  The new devices appear in Alexa, but as soon as you attempt to turn on/off the new plug it goes into "unresponsive" status.

Options
2022-11-17 01:47:52
Definitely not fixed. Go read the Alexa app reviews. Y’all are going to lose a lot of followers if it isn’t fixed asap.
Options
2022-11-17 03:38:53

@BruceGl same here

Options
2022-11-17 06:41:45

I'm also having the same issue. Happened 3 days ago and all my HS103 stopped working with Alexa, saying the server is unresponsive. The plugs works fine on the Kasa app. 

I tried the following: disabling/renabling the skill in Alexa, tried deleting the Kasa app and reinstalling, tried removing the plugs from Alexa and reinstalling.

Options
2022-11-17 12:12:47
I had the same problem with a few (but not all of my HS103 devices). I unplugged them and plugged them back in and that solved the problem.
Options
2022-11-17 13:55:17 - last edited 2022-11-17 17:12:18

@BruceGl I spent some time on this last night.  The issue was definitely caused by a software upgrade or something like that.  The plugs worked fine with the Kasa app, just not Alexa.

3. When you delete the plug in Kasa it comes back as it's default name - you have to delete that device as well.

6. Name the plug something different than before (ie. change "Bedroom Light" to "BedRoom Light")

8. Now you should see a new device in Alexa and it will not report as "unresponsive".

This is the only thing that worked for me, but I've got all my plugs working with Alexa again after I went through this process on each one.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-17 17:25:22
I had this issue pop up with the EP10s (mini) a few days ago, where it could be controlled in the Kasa app but not Alexa OR Google Home. I unplugged them and plugged them back in and it started working again. Last night the same issue happened with my HS210 (3-way switch) where it is also unavailable in both Alexa and Google Home (but continues to work in the Kasa app) which tells me this is definitely a TP-Link issue. None of my other smart devices are having any issues. I’m not sure if you guys have a fix in the works or what but at the very least you should roll the software back to the previous version until you have figured out what’s causing the issue on the TP-Link side.
Options
2022-11-19 03:42:23

@BruceGl 

4 of my HS103 plugs all became unresponsive also. Unplugged them, no change. Working on deleting them from Alexa and the Kasa ap. In the steps below, once I deleted all the plugs from Kasa and reset them (no plugs show up) (hold power 10 seconds) they do not come back even as default name. I select Add device > smart plug HS103 > Plug it in, Kasa checks W-Fi condition > Next, yes blinking orange green/blue > Next, Go to mobile devices settings and join your Smart Plug Wi-Fi network.   My phone says Wi-Fi on, then a box that says TP-LINK... that I can not change. I click on open Settings, I am connected to my Current Network (and have been for days) so I go back to Kasa and click on I'm already connected. It says Connecting to Smart Plug, eventually times out as unable to connect. I have  each HS103 sitting here inches away on my desk, one plugged in at at time, and the router is 20 ft behind me 150 mbps fiber optic fed. Tested all four HS103's individually, all the same.  These are about 3 years old, I set them up and have not had any problems until 3 days ago when the all quit.

Options
2022-11-19 18:25:37

I have the same issue with plugs and switches (work in Kasa app but not Alexa).

The process described in this post for fixing sounds logical, but is a giant pain in the you-know-what when you have 15 devices (which I have).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1260

Replies: 15

Related Articles