Pseudo "4-way" dimmer?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Pseudo "4-way" dimmer?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Pseudo "4-way" dimmer?
Pseudo "4-way" dimmer?
2023-01-05 03:37:57
Model: KS230 KIT   KS200   HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a situation where I have a 4-way light switch.  One switch is a dimmer in our kitchen.  One switch (non dimmer) in the hallway, and one switch (non dimmer) is by the back door.

I would like to replace the kitchen and hallway switches with the KS230 KIT.  I understand that these do not support 4-way.  Is there any way to add 4-way to this, like through a second kit?

Alternatively, if I wire the backdoor switch to be a non switch (that is permanently on) I would turn the circuit into a 3-way.  I still have to figure out this wiring but I believe that is possible.  Then, if I wire up the HS200 (or KS200 as I am a HomeKit house but I am using HomeBridge to bridge non-Homekit Kasa switches to KomeKit) to line/neutral but not to load, can I then use that switch as a trigger in Smart actions to turn on (100% brightness) and off the 3-way?

My gut tells me this should be possble but will running a Kasa switch without a load (just to act as a smart trigger) cause any damage to it?

But the way, as a product request, it would be nice if you would come up with a battery powered trigger switch (like the Hue remote) that can cause actions on other parts of the Kasa network.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Pseudo "4-way" dimmer?
2023-01-05 19:55:48

@TosaKerry,

I would recommend looking around the forums for possible solutions. The KS230 kit communicates by sending a dimming signal from the satellite to the main, where the actual power is changed. Some people have found luck purchasing multiple KS230Kits and using the satellite for an additional, and then using the extra main in another circuit. Many users have posted diagrams of their setups, even all the way up to an 8-way configuration. 

However, we cannot provide support for devices that do not follow the setup instructions from the device. Leaving unused wires and connections in the electrical box is never recommended as this setup was never tested and poses a potential hazard. Any Setups that do not follow the wiring diagrams in the box are not supported and have no official setups. Please be aware that using the configuration that a user has posted to the forums is not official, and not tested for safety/functionality.

Buttons:

This is a Request that we have just now been starting to receive due to increase in focus on local communication. I would expect to potentially start seeing designated trigger devices for both Kasa and Tapo within the year, given the demand. CES may even have a first look at some of these devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 461

Replies: 1