"California" 3-way switch wiring issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-21 19:44:01
Tags: #Dimmer #wiring
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8

I had tried to install a KS230 kit on a set of 3-way switches only to have them "burn out" on me after a few seconds. It flashes green/amber then go red very quickly.

I found out my builder wired 4 exterior coach lights with 2 3-way switches in the "California" wiring style. On the one side with the main bundle of neutral wiring housed in the switch, the switch wiring has 1 red, 2 black and 1 ground. On the other side, it has 1 red, 1 white, 1 black and 1 ground. I was told more than likely the white is either a neutral or the load wire. Where should the master switch be installed on the side with 2 black wires or the side with only 1?

Bottom line, I am trying to determine if this is worth my time and see if these switches compatible with this type of wiring or am I stuck with installing mechanical timer switches?

Options
1 Reply
Re:"California" 3-way switch wiring issues
2023-02-22 19:11:18

@JBkasa70 

Based on this video explanation our switches are designed to be on a traditional 3-way, where one end is the load and one end is the line.  Not to say it won't work on a Californian style, just that it's not designed for it.   I would recommend contacting an electrician to confirm.  Just keep in mind that a neutral wire is required for the line side  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 228

Replies: 1

Tags

Dimmer
wiring