Hs210 smart switch requires two presses, and shows wrong status half the time? Any fix yet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Hs210 smart switch requires two presses, and shows wrong status half the time? Any fix yet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-16 18:46:41
Tags: #Smart Actions #Ks210
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

It seems this is a problem for many as I see an expired thread in this forum that was started in 2019 and never found a solution or figured out what was causing it. 
Does anyone know what is causing this? And is there a way to fix it? 
My 3 way switch requires 2 presses in the app to perform the action and half the time the app shows the wrong status as to whether the light is on or off? 
If I press on for the lights in the kasa app, or say Google turn on the lights, and the app shows the correct status. If I then press off in the Kasa app, or say Google lights off, the lights don't go off, but the app shows they are off.  If I then press the kasa app button again, or say Google lights ON (not lights OFF), they then do go off, but the light status then says they are on, even though they finally went off. It's very annoying and it makes the voice commands useless bc I need to say lights on to get the lights off. 
Also, turning on the light switch on the dummy switch doesn't change the status in the app as it shows they are off. 
I'll add before installing the switch, I detached the common wire from each switch, then turned the power back on, then checked which switch was getting the power first with a non contact voltage tester and installed my kasa switch there. 

Anyone have any clues what's causing this problem and how it can be fixed?  Possibly the house is wired for more than a 3 way switch even though there are only two wall switches? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Hs210 smart switch requires two presses, and shows wrong status half the time? Any fix yet?
2023-03-16 20:48:56

@Wstt,

Can you point me to the older thread that you found?

How long have you had this behavior for the device? How long has the device been installed?

Some users have reported that the app is slow to make updates and would require multiple button pushes; most of this has been fixed via app updates already. However, if this exact behavior is exclusive to this model, then you may have an odd wiring setup or have something not correctly connected. It is also possible that your wiring configuration isn't supported, as I have seen a few users that have their fixture 'technically' before or in between the switches, which requires a lot of finessing to get to work correctly.

I am curious if when your device is on the same network as your switch, the behavior persists; or if this is only when controlling the device via a cloud connection such as using your mobile data.

We do have a debug version of our Kasa application that I can provide to collect a log and give to our developers if you would like. What OS/Phone are you using, and I can send you the proper link?

Options
Re:Hs210 smart switch requires two presses, and shows wrong status half the time? Any fix yet?
2023-03-16 22:37:10

@Riley_S 

the link to the expired thread with no solution is here. 
https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/158745

i just purchased my hs210 and just installed the app and the switch. 
It's a 3 way switch to control a set of 3 outside led lights. The house was built in 2006. Are there multiple ways to set up a 3 way switch? And are not all ways compatible with the hs210? 

This happens when the device and app are on the same wifi network as the switch. 

yes, please send me a link to the Kasa debug app version as I'd love to figure this out. I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro and iOS 16.3.1. 
thank you. 

Options
2023-03-16 23:18:31

@Riley_S I just disconnect both common wires connected to my dummy and hs210 switches, capped them and turned the power on and tested  both with a non contact voltage tester. Only the wire going to the hs210 had power. So I then turned the power off and reconnected everything. 

Here's what I noticed. If I turn the power on or off on the dummy switch the status of the switch never changes in the kasa app (or Google home app). If I turn the switch on in the kasa or Google home app, they both show it on, but only for like 15 seconds, then they both show it off. If I've waited the 15 seconds, when I press the app button it does turn the light off with just one press. But, the apps actually show the light coming on when it was actually going off. And if I want to use Google assistant to turn the lights OFF, I have to say Google, turn the lights ON (because it switched to displaying the lights off). 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 346

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles