Reboot/Power Cycle Function

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-16 17:30:03

I would like to see an automated Reboot/Power Cycle function added to the Smart Plugs.

If I have a Router or Access Point connected to a Smart Plug and want to power cycle the device (say one where it's interface isn't functioning but is still passing traffic) I need to program the Smart Plug schedule to power the switch OFF and then a minute later to power back on.

I cannot just switch the power off and then back on since the WIFI/network would be down and the Smart Plug would not be reachable.

I use Smart Plugs to remotely control power of equipment in server rooms and phone closets for remote reboots when necessary.  A simple power cycle button (power off for "10" seconds then automatically back on) would save the effort of creating a OFF/ON schedule, then having to go back and disable it after the device reboot.

I have other IP accessible devices that can do this, but Kasa would eliminate all of them if this feature was available.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Reboot/Power Cycle Function
2023-06-20 02:04:47

@ADIT 

The schedule feature of the Kasa plug can function in the local network without internet access. You can create two schedules to turn ON/OFF the router. 

However, device time will be messed up once it disconnects from the power. If there is a power outage or the plug has been unplugged, ensure the plug connects back to the internet afterward and check whether it functions properly before proceeding to the next offline control (schedule).

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-06-20 03:33:52

@Wayne-TP 

Completely misses my point. I understand the in/outs of these devices.  I'm not talking about a power outage.

It's a pain to have to create an off/on schedule to just remotely power cycle a device (i.e. a router or WIFI) connected to the smart switch.  Then have to go back and disable or remove the scheduled action.

There is an On/Off button in the app.  It would be fairly easy to add the combined Off then delayed (i.e. 5 or 10 seconds) back On command set in a button.

In the IT Support realm I work in we use various different "web switches" to remotely control the power of devices such as routers, servers, and other appliances.  The web switches all have a "reboot" (Off then back On) feature.

This is one of the devices we use.   networktechinc. com/download/d-control-power-reboot.html

If these smart switches had this added capability we would only need to use the Kasa devices.

Thanks for listening and responding.

Options
2023-06-20 19:59:55 - last edited 2023-06-20 20:01:20

@ADIT 

I came here today to request the same function. Power Cycle / Reboot with perhaps a time parameter that could be user defined e.g. 30 seconds to turn the switch back on. When I am away from home sometimes the router needs to be rebooted as I cannot access certain devices in the home. I do not know why this happens, but a power cycle of the router often resolves this issue. I also run a PiHole and it sometimes needs a reboot, and even my Verison fiber optic terminal can use a kick. For the router and the Verizon box, if I turned them off, I'd be locked out and would have to manually turn them back on. Would be great to be able to do this via HomeKit if possible or via the TP Link App outside the local network. 

Options