Unable to define an address reservation for IP outside the DHCP address pool

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-22 04:45:53
Tags: #Feature Request #Firmware Update #DHCP Address Reservation
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.3

This is a follow-on to previous post, "Can't assign IP outside of the range set in the DHCP server".

I moved from an Archer C7 to the AX55. In the previous thread, several people expressed the same concern I have over difference in functionality between these two routers (and others):

* On C7, the DHCP "address pool" defines the range of IP addresses to be dynamically assigned. When defining an "address reservation" (which is implicitly a "static" address), you can use any IP address, in or out of the pool. My practice (and it sounds like that of others) is to specify reserved addresses outside the "address pool", leaving it for dynamic addresses only. 

* On AX55, the DHCP "address pool" defines the range of IP addresses that can be set by the router (vs. by a device). That means that the "address pool" defines the address range used by the router to define dynamic addresses as devices that don't specify their own IP address connect and also all "address reservations". 

These are two very different things. In my view, the second operating model ignores the fact that an "address reservation" is really a static address, just one specified on the router instead of on the device. 

If all devices were capable of having an internally defined static address, I wouldn't mind this difference and, in fact, it wouldn't matter to me as with a house with dozens of devices connecting including phones, computers and home automation devices, I would be quite happy to give each individual device their own static address; it would make moving to  a new router a lot simpler. And, to be clear, I and many others see value in having statically defined addresses both to keep things orderly on our home networks but also as it simplifies access between devices, especially if they don't support Bonjour or some other named addressing capability.

However, many of my smart devices provide no way to internally define a static IP address. That's where "address reservations" prove useful.

But I'm not just here to expand on the point others made. The way this works on the AX55 is particularly problematic for me. Here is the scenario:

* When I moved from C7 to AX55 I had to expand the "address pool" from 100-155 to 10-155 (addresses below 10 being reserved for network devices like extenders and such that have static addresses). Without getting into the details, I had devices that only support dynamic addresses in ranges from 10-20, 20-30, etc. 

* On the C7, when a new device connects to the network, it was given an address of 100 or above, outside the range of all my home automation. Now, it can get an address anywhere above 10, even though those ranges are defined for specific types of devices.

* On occasion, I may have a device that has a static IP address (no "reserved address") that goes offline for some period (e.g., one of the grandkids unplugged a smart plug in the guest bedroom and I hadn't known about it). If a new device tries to connect to the network, it could then end up getting the address of that offline device. 

* When the static IP device then comes online again, then all the sudden there is an IP address conflict between it and the other device dynamically assigned the same address. 

Our granddaughter stayed with us for a week and as the printer - assigned a static IP address - had been asleep for days without being used, when she connected her tablet to the network, it was given the address the printer normally uses. Then my wife tried to use the printer and not only did she have trouble connecting but all the sudden I had my wife on me to fix that and my granddaughter complaining she had been bumped from the network in the middle of a game. All of that's my problem, not TP-Link's, but I use it to illustrate WHY so many of us find the way this works on the AX55 to be BROKEN!

Now, as someone who suffered through the recent firmware upgrade DISASTER on this AX55 (thank goodness I still had the C7 to fall back to for a month till things were stable), I want to make a formal request: in a future firmware update, CHANGE THIS FUNCTIONALITY! It seems like you are certainly able to make significant functional changes in a firmware release so PLEASE consider giving the AX55 the same relationship between "address pool" and "address reservations" that the C7 and every other router I've owned have.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Unable to define an address reservation for IP outside the DHCP address pool
2023-07-24 16:36:06

@NEatonJr 

I won't address the C7 router's capabilities as I never owned one.  I use AX55s.

From reading up on this, it appears that older routers and servers may have supported reservation assignments from outside the DHCP pool.  Newer routers from TPLink, Linksys, DLink, Asus, Netgear, and others don't support it.  Even Microsoft considers this as an invalid configuration and its servers no longer support DHCP assignments outside of the DHCP scope.

That being the case, I wouldn't expect TP-Link to change the way DHCP assignments are handled.

In my case, what I do here is give the DHCP server a range from 100 to 199 in the LAN subnet.  I use address reservations (starting at 100) for the printer and those devices that have a web interface.  Access points, switches, PLCs, etc. are assigned static IPs below 100.  Anything else (tablets, phones, TVs, etc.) get a dynamic address from the DHCP server as it really doesn't matter what address they have as long as they can connect to the internet.  A new feature on the AX55 is the ability to isolate devices and all my IoT devices are isolated from the rest of the network.

Options
Re:Unable to define an address reservation for IP outside the DHCP address pool
2023-07-25 10:48:15 - last edited 2023-07-25 10:52:38

@NEatonJr 

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback, I'll make sure to log this feature request and pass it along to the team.

Feel free to let us know of any other feature requests you may have, we’d be happy to send them up for you.

@jra11500 Thanks a lot for your sharing, it is a good idea to set static IP address out of the DHCP range on the necessary devices that supports to set IP address to avoid IP conflict.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 355

Replies: 2

Tags

Feature Request Firmware Update
DHCP Address Reservation
Related Articles