Issue linking devices together

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-15 20:56:17
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

I have what might be a somewhat unusual setup.  My setup has a fan with a single load run from a gang box to the fixture.  I have installed two KL110 bulbs in the fan.  My goal is to make it so we can leave the fan running and also turn off the lights without using the pull chains.  There is also a 2nd gang box and the original switches were setup as a 3 way.  The hot line comes into Box A, then two travers are run to Box B.  The Load is in Box B.  Each box has a neutral.  

What I did was borrow a traveler wire and bridged the hot line from Box A to Box B and connected it to the Load wire, thus supplying constant power to the fan/light fixture.  I then installed a HS200 switch in each of the gang boxes.  Each is installed with a line, neutral and ground.  The load on each switch is capped off.  

What I am trying ot accomplish is using these two switches are remote switches for the two bulbs.  I created group on the kasa app and placed the two bulbs in the group.  When I power the group off and on via the app it works perfectly every time. I then created smart actions so that when I turn either one of the switches on and off that group will also turn on and off. When using either of the switches the results are incredibly inconsistent.  Sometimes both bulbs respond, sometimes only one and sometimes neither.  Sometimes one bulb turns on while the other flickers on for a second and then turns off. I have also created smart actions to keep th e two switches in sync. That seems to work pretty well. 

I had hoped that putting all 4 devices, two switches and two bulbs, in one group that they would all just link together but that wsa not the case.  My past house I had zwave run by homeseer which had that exact feature. Maybe this a feature that be addd to Kasa in the future.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Issue linking devices together
2023-08-17 09:36:58

@KewlRobD 

Can you share a simple drawing of your wiring? It looks complicated and I'm not sure if I followed.

Are you using the HS200 switch to control the KL110 bulb? These two products are both smart devices, they can be controlled separately, or linked with other Kasa smart devices with Kasa APP. There is no need to use a smart switch to connect a smart bulb.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options