Camera lights not working correctly, both spotlight and IR.

2023-10-23 03:37:42 - last edited 2023-10-23 03:42:15
Tags: #Night vision
Model: KC420WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.3.20

I have 3 of these.  I've only installed 2 this weekend.  The 3rd has been installed for a few months with no issues.  Firmware updated on all 3.

On both of the new cameras the spotlight appears to be not working.  If I manually turn it on, you cannot see any difference , except for one of them you can tell it switches from IR only to color, but there is no light.  On both cameras when you turn spotlight on the button flashes on and off in the app..  I've tried this on my first camera and this does not happen, and you can see the light that the LED's emit.  It works properly.

On the second new camera neither the spotlight nor the IR appear to be working.  It is very dark.  It is mounted about 9' up facing a covered patio.

I've also tried changing settings for night vision within the app.

The only thing I've not tried is going and removing the installed cameras and the panel to access the reset button.  Is there something else I should be trying?  

The app is relatively self explanatory and easy to figure out.  I have over 20 KASA devices, plugs, switches, and including the 3 - KC420WS and 2 - EC70 cameras and have more switches yet to be installed.  I also plan on another camera or 2, but only if I can get this issue sorted.

On a side note, is there a way to get the camera with a shorter cord, or has anyone shortened it themselves?  These 2 cameras are mounted at the location of a dedicated plug, so I have 10' of wire bundled up and hanging.  It would be awesome to be able to get one with just a 1' cord.  And another 'gripe' is the plug is tall, especially with the USB attached.  Is there a plug that is more low profile?  I have the cord in an outdoor outlet cover and it barely fits with the usb part having a pretty serious bend in it to fit.

Thanks for any replies on these questions, especially the issue with the night vision.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Camera lights not working correctly, both spotlight and IR.
2023-10-24 03:34:11 - last edited 2023-10-24 05:13:56

Update:  Reset both cameras today.  Spotlights are working on both when checked after reset.  I'm unsure if the IR is working on the second camera, now it's having connectivity issues.  I can't currently get live view or view recordings, but when I hit the Cameras tab at the bottom of app, I can see that the camera is working by the snapshot with the current time stamp.

Now I'm not sure why I'm having connectivity issues.  Signal is not great but hasn't changed since yesterday when I was able to connect no problem.

Edit: reduced video quality and connectivity got better.  Can view live image.  IR still not working.

i never saw the IR bulbs flick on and off during reset like it did setting up the other cameras.  I believe the IR is dead when purchased.

Options
2023-10-29 03:11:12

Is this thing on?

Nobody has any suggestions to fix the IR on the camera?"

Options
2024-01-04 01:25:14

@NCW_Guy just bought one and same problems with ir and camera. Is yours fixed?

Options
2024-01-04 20:24:23

@Diver4242  No. I did a hard reset and got the spotlight working but not the IR, never got any help here either :(.  I had another camera (same model) so I just replaced it and was going to put the other one where I wouldn't need IR but haven't done anything with it yet.

I don't think I was eligible to return because I had been buying these cameras for a year or so as I had extra money.  Never installed these ones until this summer when we had some issues taking place in the neighborhood.

Options
2024-01-04 20:28:57

@Diver4242 I do have 3 of this model installed and working well.  On a busy street the car headlights set off motion.  Still dialing in sensitivity to eliminate most false notifications.  Where headlights aren't an issue we get very few notifications.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 380

Replies: 5

Tags

Night vision
Related Articles