Is there a way to set a Connection Preference order?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-24 18:19:58
Model: Deco XE75   Deco W7200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20230901 Rel. 36505

I have 3 Decos that participate in my network. Certain devices I seem to connect to a node that is further away and therefore have a weaker signal. I know that in the advanced settings I can choose a Connection Preference, but that locks the device to only one node. Is there a way I can set an ordered list in case a node is down and then have the other nodes host the traffic until the preferred node comes back up and then when that happens have the device automatically switch back to the preferred node?

Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Is there a way to set a Connection Preference order?
2023-10-25 08:52:02

@Whydoihaveto 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Usually, there is no need to set "Connection Preference" for mobile devices, they are supposed to select the proper signal source Deco by themselves. But later we received feedback that sometimes devices would stick to certain Mesh units. That is the initial purpose of adding Connection Preference to "compel"  the client to choose the defined Deco. so I think in certain ways, we already set the connection order of Deco. The preferred Deco is not a permanent choice and if the preferred node went done, the device would be able to switch to other Mesh units.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-10-25 16:29:18

@David-TP thank you so much for the reply! These devices are wireless cameras mounted outside the building so they aren't mobile and the weird part was they seemed to be stuck using the deco unit furthest away instead of the ones close to them. The way the Connection Preference section is worded is EXTREMELY different than how you just explained it. The Deco app literally says that my device will ONLY connect to the one Deco that I select. This explicitly means that if I reboot that one Deco, my security camera well lose all connection. Please see the attached screenshot.

Who is correct? You or your app?

You state that if the preferred Deco is taken offline then the client will move to another Deco, but the Deco app (iOS) states that if the client will ONLY connect to that one Deco and therefore not any other nodes in the mesh.

See what I mean?

File:
IMG_6448.pngDownload
Options
2023-10-31 19:10:19

@David-TP did you see my response on how the app phrases it?

Options