KS225 LED indicator red even though it is connected to WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-15 22:07:56 - last edited 2023-11-15 22:13:10
Model: KS225  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

The LED on my KS225 is stuck on red, even though the switch is connected to WiFi and I can control it both from the KASA app and a Matter controller.   I do have the switch blocked from the internet.

What is going on?  Is this a hardware problem and thus I should ask for a new switch?  Is this a software problem that will be addressed by a software update?  Is it somehow related to internet access, even though a Matter device shouldn't need to connect to the internet?

Options
4 Reply
Re:KS225 LED indicator red even though it is connected to WiFi
2023-11-16 01:40:05

@pfps,

I believe that it is being caused by the device not being connected to the internet/ being able to reach the TP-Link server, but I will have to make sure. I would assume that the check is simply failing because it is may be attempting to ping an outside server to verify its connectivity, rather than the gateway its connected to.

I will pass the feedback along, however I have a feeling that this is an intended function for users who connect the device to their Kasa app, as the normal rules still apply about schedules and such operating until they become out of sync.

If you temporarily unblock the internet access of the device, does the light change?

If you only set the device up via your matter controller and not through the Kasa app, is the light also red?

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2023-11-16 02:57:57

@Riley_S Yes, the light behaves correctly if I unblock it.   Also, I did set it up in the app.   How can I disconnect the device from the app?

Options
2023-11-16 19:41:44

@pfps,

You would need to delete the device from within the kasa app, however, you may want to perform a factory reset and only use the setup of your matter controller.

After speaking with my team, however, this sounds as though the red light is the 'intended' behavior as it cannot be controlled via the matter protocol, and follows the LED follows the Wi-Fi setup process. When using the Matter protocol, the Red Light is an indicator that the device is not connected to the internet, rather than the device not being able to connect to the Wi-Fi.

There is an option in the Kasa App to disable the LED indicator entirely, which is likely the best course of action so that you do not need to look at the red light all of the time.

As a side note, while Matter is a local-based protocol, it is still recommended to have the device's cloud connection available for use, since certain features, such as firmware updates, are often not delivered via matter.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2023-11-16 22:21:58

@Riley_S OK.  I'll reset the device.  It still would be nice to document this behaviour.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 509

Replies: 4

Related Articles