Smart bulb powers on after power outage - unacceptable workaround

2023-11-30 21:50:27 - last edited 2023-11-30 21:52:42
Model: KL125  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.13

I am frustrated. Lots of searching, this has been a problem with these bulbs for years, and TPLink has done nothing about it. I bought a Smart Bulb to control with my phone, scheduled and Alexa/Google, and if I wanted to use the light switch to power on and off, I would use a regular bulb. I understand that it's nice to be able to use the switch to power on a device (I presume the premise behind defaulting to ON), but an option should either be provided to force on/off/last or scheduled state after power off OR default to OFF and require two flips of the switch to turn on manually. I leave all switches that control the "Smart" bulbs to ON, because they are supposed to be Smart and remotely controlled.

The workaround, which I don't like - it's a waste of time and effort, BUT I have created a scene that contains every bulb, then scheduled that scene to turn off all bulbs every hour, excluding hours that any of the lights are scheduled to be on. It's a management pain, but it keeps all lights from being on more than an hour after an outage. It also makes the schedule more difficult, because now you have to make sure to adjust the scene if you add another bulb to be on during the hours that the scene turns off. Here is how to create the scene/schedule: https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/stories/detail/501224

Come on TPLink, as a coder, I know that this is not a major enhancement. In fact, one employee should be able to fix this in just a few hours time, instead of making thousands of people waste hours trying to figure out how to work around this issue. I will not be buying any more TPLink bulbs. The plugs/outlets work great. They don't auto power on, but to avoid having to continue to blend apps, I won't be buying any more of those either. Step up to the plate guys, please. Save others this incredible and unecessary hassle. Don't you *want your customers to continue to buy your products? Power outages are not frequent - default to OFF, I'll turn on what I need when the power goes out. It's SO much more simple.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 0

Related Articles