Can't Connect 3-Way Smart Dimmer Kit to Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-01 18:13:03
Tags: #Dimmer #Wi-Fi
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 2.6

I believe I have wired the installation of my KS230 KIT correctly as I have a blinking indicator on the Main dimmer alternating between amber/orange and green.  There is no indicator showing on the satellite dimmer.

I have tried to connect to my home wifi but have been unable to and don't know how to remedy.  Any help is appreciated!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Can't Connect 3-Way Smart Dimmer Kit to Wi-Fi
2023-12-01 19:09:17

@danblewis,

Do you happen to know which hardware version of the KS230 you have? V1 or V2? 

The v1 requires that the traveler wires are aligned between the satellite and main, while the v2 can make the determination on its own accord, and the order does not matter.

As for the setup with Wi-Fi:At what stage does the device fail to connect to Wi-Fi, and what page is shown in the Kasa App?

I would try to factory reset the switch before configuring the switch again, to make sure that the device does not have any remaining settings.

Options
2023-12-01 19:20:35

@Riley_S thanks for your reply.  I had looked at the switches as well as the packaging to know the hardware version and cannot seem to find that noted anywhere.

That said, I do already have the traveler wires connected to the same positions on both the main and satellite switches - black on top, red on the bottom.

Options
2023-12-01 19:29:15

@Riley_S regarding the wifi setup, I get to the step where the app asks if the wifi indicator is lit - to which I answer no.  It then asks if the LED indicator is flashing orange and green - to which I answer yes.  Then it goes to the page that says it is connecting to the smart dimmer but pretty quickly that effort ends with a page that says "unable to connect to your smart dimmer wifi" along with a few troubleshooting suggestions - none of which work.

I have tried both the Reset and Restart buttons but neither has seemed to effect any changes. :(

Options
2023-12-01 20:02:07

@danblewis,

Good to hear they are aligned. Once setup you can see in the Kasa App, otherwise it should be on the back of the switch on the label.

You can manually force your phone to connect to the setup Wi-Fi through your phone settings at this stage.

I would recommend going into your list of available WI-Fi networks after resetting the device to make sure that the smart switch has begun to broadcast its own setup Wi-Fi.

This network is only there for 15 minutes after a reset, so you will likely need to reset the device again. If the network is not there, make sure that you are performing a full factory reset and the lights change to indicate that the reset was successful.

Options
2023-12-01 20:37:06

@Riley_S  several issues...  pressing and holding Reset seems to do nothing.  The status light continues to flash orange/green before, during and after doing so.  However, pressing Restart briefly stops the status light flashing but once Reset is released, the same orange/green status resumes.  At that time, the tp-link device did appear in my list of available wifi networks but when I tried to select it, a message of "authentication error occurred" briefly displayed and then the device disappeared from the list of available networks.  And now, I cannot seem to get that network device (TP-LINK_Smart Dimmer_F9F5) to repopulate in my list of available networks.

How should the status lights change during the Reset?  Does the fact that at present they do not change at all offer some clue as to what may be the issue?

Options
2023-12-01 20:41:58

@Riley_S  oops.  Correction/typo.  In my previous response I mistakenly typed "...pressing Restart briefly stops the status light flashing but Reset is released..." when I meant to say "...pressing Restart briefly stops the status light flashing but when Restart is released..."

Sorry for that!

Options
2023-12-01 21:36:21

@danblewis,

You can always find your User Guide on your Product's Download Page, which includes info about the LED Lights: KS230 User Guide

With either of the two resets the setup Wi-Fi will appear, and I believe that you may only be able to connect to the Switch Wi-Fi during the setup process, as your phone will switch between the two to communicate credentials for the Wi-Fi and bind the device to your account. This means that you would need to switch out of the Kasa App during the process to connect to the switch's network, if doing it manually.

8466237658744f1d98c4b9d5e3f95318

The issue with the LED Lights is that they are showing correctly and that the device is ready to be set up via the Kasa App: 

b85916078fab4059a4f20b0897e9c820

I would recommend letting the device settle for a while so that it can go through its typical process of shutting down the setup Wi-Fi, then try resetting the device using the instructions above and going through the setup process.

Options
2023-12-02 03:46:45

@Riley_S despite waiting through several "cool down" periods, I cannot get my phone to ever see the wifi network for this switch.  Therefore, connecting the switch to the app remains a problem I cannot resolve.  I am throwing in the towel and will return this item.

Thanks for your help in trying to solve my issues.

Options