Improve Point Signal Strength

2024-01-29 15:10:44 - last edited 2024-01-31 16:13:48
Tags: #Signal
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 3.6.74

I have a Deco X55 system with 3 devices.  My 2 points only have a "Fair" signal, but all devices appear to connect to these points and work ok.  But I'd like to improve the signal to these 2 points if possible. 

Unfortunately I can't improve the signals by bringing BOTH the 2 points closer to the router, and also can't move the location of the router itself. It is possible to locate a 3rd point in-between the 2 points if that might help.  I would have to purchase that additional device.  My question is: Would purchasing another Device (creating a 3rd point in-between the router and the existing 2 points) improve the signal to existing points?  I'm not a networking expert and I'm not sure if points can (or ideally should) be Daisy-Chained in that way.  And even if the signal to the existing 2 points can be improved by adding a 3rd point, I'm guessing the speed of devices connected to those farthest points might be worse having to go through another hop to get to the router. I'm trying to avoid purchasing another point and discovering it made no improvement. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Improve Point Signal Strength-Solution
2024-01-31 16:10:25 - last edited 2024-01-31 16:13:48

@H-Bar If all devices work ok, I would not add Powerline adapters inside your Deco network.
For your info, MoCa adapters can be used to transfer data over the coax.

If you connect the Decos via PowerLine or Moca adapters, the Deco will stop using wifi as backhaul, hence this is beneficial only if those adapters actually provide a good service, which is far from being guaranteed.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Improve Point Signal Strength
2024-01-30 03:38:54

@H-Bar 

Hi, is there any chance that you could connect the satellite Deco X55 via an Ethernet cable to the nearby Deco, like:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

main Deco---cable>---2nd Deco X55---cable>---3rd Deco X55

/---cable>---2nd Deco X55

main Deco---

\---cable>----3rd Deco X55

Or have you used powerline adapters before? A pair of powerline adapters could also be used to create an "Ethernet Bridge",such as:

38e01618e57844cc94e514c688a42ae7

Adding a 3rd Deco does help improve the signal to existing points but as you mentioned, the speed of devices connected to those farthest points might be worse having to go through another hop to get to the router.

Best regards.

Options
2024-01-30 11:39:30

@David-TP unfortunately house was wired for coax and telephone, not Ethernet.  Never tried power adapters before. Where can I purchase those? 

Options
Re:Improve Point Signal Strength-Solution
2024-01-31 16:10:25 - last edited 2024-01-31 16:13:48

@H-Bar If all devices work ok, I would not add Powerline adapters inside your Deco network.
For your info, MoCa adapters can be used to transfer data over the coax.

If you connect the Decos via PowerLine or Moca adapters, the Deco will stop using wifi as backhaul, hence this is beneficial only if those adapters actually provide a good service, which is far from being guaranteed.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-31 16:16:40

@yves_b Exactly what I'm planning to do (nothing).  All works OK so I'm going to disregard the "Fair" signal label and continue as is, until something breaks.  Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 194

Replies: 4

Tags

Signal
Related Articles