Kasa KS240: Smart Ceiling Fan Control and Dimmer Switch

2024-02-14 17:45:45 - last edited 2024-03-26 19:06:18
Model: Kasa KS240  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

First announced at CES last year, the KS240 Smart Ceiling Fan Control and Dimmer Switch has become one of the community's most anticipated releases. Over the last year, we have received many comments on the features everyone is looking for in the device, and we are proud to announce that the device is releasing with direct compatibility for Apple Home!

fa8eefd0e26542df9eac205ee22cd41b

2-1 Brightness & Fan Control:

4-Speed Fan Control - Choose between four fan speeds to find the ideal airflow that suits your comfort.

Smooth Lighting with Gentle Fade On/Off Features

Standard and Sleep Modes with Gentle Transition

Standard: Normal Working Status for the Fan

Sleep Mode: Automatically and Slowly Adjusts to a Gentle Fan Speed at a Set Time

Works with Apple Home:

Enjoy complete control of your fan and light in the Apple Home App, along with support for 3rd- party platforms such as Google, SmartThings, and Alexa.

Buy the KS240 on Amazon

Buy the KS240 on B&H Photo

or

Learn More about the KS240 on its Product Overview Page

Compatibility Notes:cd87cddeb3ac4a15aae39209119cd498

• Neutral Wire Required
  • Separate Load Wires for Both Fan and Light are Required
  • 150W Max for LED Lighting
  • 300W Max for Halogen and Incandescent
  • AC Motor Speed Control Fan (1.5A, Less than 60W)

Not Compatible With:

• Exhaust Fans
  • DC Motor Fans
  • Fans with Integrated Speed Controls (fans with Remote control or are Wi-Fi / Bluetooth Enabled)
  • 3-Way (Multi-Location) Wiring

We recommend checking the installation guide for detailed instructions and compatibility requirements.

Always check with your device/fixture manufacturer if you are unsure of specifications such as power consumption or LED dimming types.

We have many more exciting devices releasing for Kasa coming over the next few months, so keep your eyes open for announcements of new releases from our team.

We appreciate the feedback that everyone has given over the past few months. If you have any questions or feedback regarding the KS240, please feel free to leave a comment below!

Learn How to set up a KS240 Smart Fan and Dimmer Switch in our YouTube Video: How to Install & Configure a KS240 Fan and Dimmer

-- EDIT --

Hey Everyone,

Our team has created a quick survey to gather some information about the reported behaviors seen from a few users across the forum regarding the KS240’s LED Indicator Lights. If you have seen your LEDs behaving abnormally or turning red periodically, please provide your case in the following form:

KS240 LED Indicator Feedback

You will be asked to provide your TP-Link ID and the MAC address of the device – allowing our developing teams to check the logs of the device and they may potentially reach out to provide a debug firmware to help diagnose the cause.

If you are seeing any other abnormal behaviors, don’t hesitate to reach out to our teams.

Options
13 Reply
Re:Kasa KS240: Smart Ceiling Fan Control and Dimmer Switch
2024-02-17 06:51:11

@Riley_S
Very easy to install. Did have to replace one box with a deeper one.

Integration into Apple was seamless.

Will there be a matter update at some point?

Options
2024-02-20 17:44:59

Hey @DrTek,

I'm glad to hear the Apple Home setup was straightforward!

Unfortunately, our team cannot give a reliable yes or no to matter at this point. I believe that matter support was not given with this launch due to a combination of the protocol features, along with support for the needed features across third parties such as Google and Alexa (Take the lack of a Dimmable Fan feature in Google Home for an example).

We also do not know if Matter compatibility is something that is planned to be added to the device or if a new matter-specific version would be required. 

I will provide an update here if we learn of any large feature updates coming to the device; however, it is recommended to buy the device based on the current feature(HomeKit) and not what may be coming.

Options
2024-02-27 02:28:49

I purchased 2 of these off of Amazon and have installed 1 so far.  I want to be able to leave the LEDs on all the time to more easily see them in a dark room but the fan LED randomly turns off then on, off then on, periodically, but pretty consistently. Perhaps 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, 30 seconds on, and so on.  

Anyone else experienced this?

I have LED control set to "always on" in the settings.  

The light LED behaves as I would expect.

Honestly, during setup they flash red/white so it's clearly got at least 2 colors available. It'd be nice if a future update could give some color flexibility.  Would be nice to match the other LEDs on switches in the rooms for example.

Options
2024-02-28 17:45:53

@bmmiller 

I have one of these switches as well.  I am not experiencing the same phenomenon.  I know it can't be shared here but could you please share a video to ussupportteam@tp-link.com so we can better see what you are experiencing?

Options
2024-03-01 05:51:09

my KS240 installed today is doing the exact same thing... LEDs set to "always on" but the fan icon LED randomly turns off and on.  (The white light icon remains steady on) 

Options
2024-03-06 18:46:58

@Riley_S 

Except for three classic Hunter fans, our entire house is wired with Kasa switches.

51 total, including nine 3-way satellites. The fans are not compatible with the HS220.

Unfortunately the UI on this new switch is *completely* different than every other Kasa switch.

My spouse was cool to the whole automation deal, but eventually came to appreciate

the simplicity of simply pushing anywhere on a switch, including 3-way switches.

This switch breaks that paradigm.

While the KS240 solves a problem for fans with lights, in our case the fans do *NOT* have lights. 

Can we please get an HS220 equivalent for (only) fans?

Options
2024-03-14 00:11:34

HomeKit setup is improved dramatically compared to some of the KS200's I installed previously. Very fast and not one hiccup during the setup process on any of the six I installed. Overall, exactly the switch I needed to complete my full smart switch setup, very impressed.

Minor issue with the firmware I think where the indicator light for the fan stays on occasionally when the fan is off, but support has said they are aware and working towards a fix. 

Overall great release and happy to see these available finally. 

Options
2024-03-22 00:53:28

@liam12 Anybody have any good recommendations for candelabra light bulbs to use with this switch?   I've tried 3 now and all flicker.  

Options
2024-03-22 16:22:46

Hey  @3Mahler5,

As long as the bulbs use leading edge /TRIAC for its dimming type there should not be a problem with flickering. If the flickering only happens at a lower brightness level, make sure to use the Dimming Calibration feature.

I would also highly recommend checking your fixture for the same compatibility. It is not uncommon for the fixture, especially if it offers smart or remote functionality, to intercept the dimming signals from the switch.

Options
2024-03-25 14:27:16

@bmmiller I am seeing the same thing on 1 of 4 of these KS240's. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1773

Replies: 13

Related Articles