Homeshield not detecting anything.

2024-02-17 00:08:49
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Current

I have been doing the trial of homeshield and have not see it report anything at all.  I understand this maybe a good thing but along with that there is very little reporting about what is hitting the firewall, what my devices are talking too, etc.  I would like more info about what is going on with my network.

If it is not reporting anything is it worth having?

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Homeshield not detecting anything.
2024-02-18 01:33:54

@Mudslideyo I have actually been paying for both that and the parental control thing for a couple months now and my honest opinion is they've largely been useless. It has detected 0 IoT attacks, 1 intrusion attempt which was actually me doing a scan of my network and then maybe 20 web protections, most of which is just repeat events of the same site. Of those, I know that 1 is actually legit/safe, one was a VPN software I ran on my phone once which was legit and then one of my teenagers has tried to do some video streaming thing and it blocked it, but I also think that's not particularly malicious per se. 

So as you said you don't really WANT a bunch of crazy stuff hitting your network but these were mostly benign or false positives. 

I believe I'm going to cancel as I don't see any value personally especially at the price they charge per month.

The second is the parental controls which I have found I don't utilize like I thought. YouTube and filtering is on for adult stuff but I've yet to see anything in the logs that was blocked - but I did one day come across some history items in his browser from YouTube that shocked me a bit. It was videos called uhm... let me think how to phrase this... about a man... uhm... "reproducing"... on someone's face... lol 😂 

There were like 5-6 of them right after another about surprise reproducing on someone's face or in their mouth? I mean it was something like that which shocked me because these were titles of videos on YouTube! I didn't see these in the router log as blocked. So that's not promising.

I don't use the bedtime or time limit stuff because my girlfriend doesn't believe in giving her children any sort of boundaries or structure, so I'm wasting my money there.

Best use I've found of parental controls is to kill his internet after I have told him over and over for 2 hours straight every evening to stop screaming at the top of his lungs to these stupid online video game people.

If I can't get him to listen to what I tell him to do, then I can just cut the tap off and he spirals into deep existential crisis, unable to cope with the doom and horror of existing for 15 minutes without hyper stimulation and the manic frenzy of unrelenting dopamine hits.

I call it disconnecting him from the Matrix. He hates the red pill. But it's nice being able to shut it all down at once from the other room so I don't have to go argue with him. Let him cool down a bit first.

But honestly I'm not sure that the pay stuff is doing anything that I need either.

So... that's my experience and opinion. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 126

Replies: 1

Related Articles