Switches & Plugs Connect only to Guest Network

2 weeks ago
Model: HS200   HS110   HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello.

I'm new to the Kasa forums. Never had to access this space - since never had a problem with Kasa. It's been the most stable, trustworthy, faultless group of products. I am a networking engineer and have done Beta's for various companies. Fluent in troubleshooting technology. Having said that - may be missing something basic in this case:

1. I have 28 Kasa switches and plugs. I've had some since the first gen came out.
  2. 5 months ago a group of 8 Kasa devices went offline - red LED's and "Offline" in app. Some were older - some newer.
  3. It was impossible to get these devices back online. They simply would not ID my WiFi during setup. Did multiple hard resets, disconnected from wall/AC etc.
  4. Used this opportunity to upgrade from Linksys MX8503 to DECO 16000 routers.
  5. Once I set up the DECO - all Kasa's easily connected - no issues.
  6. A week ago - this same group of 8 Kasa devices suddenly went offline - same red LED - same pattern. But this time the whole Kasa ecosystem became unstable, almost every device "Flickers" on and off the home 2.4 band.
  7. The ONLY band these devices become stable when connected - is the GUEST 2.4. Once a device goes offline it will not see the home 2.4 during setup, even after multiple resets/AC disconnects etc.
  8. The only difference between the "Home" 2.4 and "Guest" 2.4 i that on the guest the 6 gig is turned off.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ethersurfer

Options
1 Reply
Re:Switches & Plugs Connect only to Guest Network
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hi @Ethersurfer,

Welcome to the TP-Link Smart Home Community!

Generally, in a scenario like yours, I suggest using the IoT Network feature on your Deco, which creates a separate network solely for your IoT devices. Doing this helps optimize bandwidth management and connectivity for connected IoT devices and would be a better solution than using the Guest Network.

To enable the IoT network, open the Deco app and navigate to More → IoT Network:dd7029b91f1143588637d755b781c8d5

After toggling the IoT network ON, you can configure its network settings such as Security (encryption/password), which Wi-Fi bands it uses, etc.

Options