Connecting to Smart Switch fails quickly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-11 22:14:33
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: unknown

I have 8 Kasa HS200 smart switches installed in my house.  I was able to add several of them to the app easily, and they work fine.  

Two of them however, won't connect.  I'm using the android version of the app.  

Process:

1. I click the add device button. - Success

2. I select add device - Success

3. I select Smart Switches - Success

4. I select Smart Switch - Success

5. It asks if the switch is installed and I answer "Yes" - Success

6. It asks if the light is blinking orange and green.  The light on the switch is blinking orange and green, so I select "Orange and Green" - Success

7. It goes to a screen called "Connecting to Smart Switch" and says "This might take a few minutes to establish a connection" - Failure.  

It goes to a screen that says "Unable to Connect to Your Smart Switch Wi-Fi".  The help there says:

1. Try a Different Location - I've tried several

2. Restart your device - I have tried this, both reset and factory reset.  No change.

3. Visit tplink.com/support - I'm here.

Just to reiterate, this has worked several times on other switches in this house.  Another thing to note, even though it says, "This might take a few minutes", it goes to the error screen almost immediately (within less than 5 seconds).  This makes me think it might actually be a problem with the app.  If it were really searching for the switch, it wouldn't error out after 5 seconds.  It almost seems like it's finding something, having an error, and going to this error screen very quickly, just with an unhelpful error message.  

In addition to resetting the switch, and factory resetting the switch, I have reset the app, and my phone.  None of the above changes the behavior.  

App info: I'm using version 2.35.1.1024 released on November 8th, 2021.  On a Google Pixel 4a running Android 12.  

Just to add even though I listed the steps above.  On the switches that do work, it will usually pop up a window with a TP-Link wifi and ask if I want to connect.  I hit yes, and it says connection is successful.  Then it asks me to select my home wifi.  I do that, and it connects to that, and says it's complete.  I just re-did this on a different switch, and it worked again, perfectly.  I'm not sure what is wrong with either these two switches, or the app.  

Options
1 Reply
Re:Connecting to Smart Switch fails quickly
2021-12-13 01:07:38

@merschel 

If any error occurs, please try some instructions here:What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?

For error "Unable to Connect to Your Smart Switch Wi-Fi" occurs, please manually connect to  Kasa_Smart Switch_ XX default SSID (smart  device default SSID is an open Wi-Fi without Internet access, it will be gone after smart device successfully connected to router's Wi-Fi)

• iOS: Go to the Settings page, click on the Wi-Fi  to connect to the Smart device’s Wi-Fi manually, then go back to app to continue set up

Android: Android phone will look for smart device automatically, if not or could not find  device,  manually connect to Smart device's Wi-Fi, go back to APP and continue set up.

• Turn off VPN or security software like Lookout on the photo
  • Make sure kasa APP is up to date. 

If the same issue, please share a photo of error, a photo showing  phone is connected to Smart Plug WiFi at that time, and check what is IP address on your phone as guie here: How to find IP address on your devices?

Thank you

Options