Picture in Kasa app confused me so I thought I'd share my experience

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-05 13:02:20
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

There's a step in the installation instructions in the app that says "connect the neutral wire using the provided wire nut". However in the picture displayed the wires are highlighted in green, and I assumed the green wire coming out of the back of the unit is the neutral wire (which it is not) and connected the green wire to the neutral wires in the wall.

This causes the kasa smart switch to flicker on and off and turns the light on and off repeatedly. I quickly turned off the circuit breaker and retraced my steps to see where I screwed up and caught my mistake. I had to remove the green wire from the neutral wire nut and replace it with the white one which then made it all work.

Anyway, thought I'd share in case someone else makes this mistake or maybe someone that works on the app can add a note to that screen that the neutral wire is white, not green. Feels dumb because it's labeled on the unit, but the image in the app tripped me up a first time installer... crying

Options
1 Reply
Re:Picture in Kasa app confused me so I thought I'd share my experience
2022-11-07 02:51:12

Hi there   @thesirrob 

Sorry to hear about the experience, we got a Setup Video that help to examine the wiring of HS210kit that should help: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/hs210-kit/
Correctly wiring HS210 requires at least 4 lines in each electrical box: 
 1*Common Wire (Live or Load) ,1* Neutral wire, 2*Traveller Wires ,1*Ground Wire (optional)

•        WHITE wire on switch to NEUTRAL wire.
•        GREEN wire on switch to green/bare copper GROUND wire.
•        Black Screw on the side of switch to  COMMON (LIVE/LOAD) wire 
•        2 *White Srews on the bottom of switch to 2 *TRAVELLER wires 

NOTE:Please identify COMMON wire as the setup video, examine old Switch , one Screw would be different color, usually black, that is the common wire

If No Neutral Wire is present, HS210  can Not be installed .

Can you share a photo in the APP that may lead the understanding(please help circle it out), I will see if share feedback with related team to make it more clear, thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 294

Replies: 1

Related Articles