I want a wireless camera that can take a picture

2024-08-01 23:16:26
Model: Tapo C402 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.17

I want to be able to snap a picture remotely periodically, e.g. by grabbing a jpeg or whatever, using a linux box. It appears that this is impossible, so I'm asking for help.

It seems that this is a nice camera but if all it can do is show video on my phone, it's not useful to me.

Options
2 Reply
Re:I want a wireless camera that can take a picture
2024-08-02 20:15:08

@DaveGluss OK never mind. I returned it. The camera is full of open source software but can't be used with open source software. I'm a little annoyed.

Options
Re:I want a wireless camera that can take a picture
2024-08-02 23:03:41

@DaveGluss,

Apologies for the late response, but you are correct in that the C402KIT cannot be captured over your network. It is possible to snap pictures and save them to the SD card/your phone from the Tapo app, but not from the network.

The features you are looking for are actually widely available on Tapo cameras, however, it is not available on battery cameras due to the power these features require. This is much less a limitation of our cameras, and is unfortunately much more a limitation of the technology. 

For wired cameras, you can use ONVIF or the RTSP video streams to view camera feeds on the network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 108

Replies: 2

Related Articles