Welcome to the Forum for Tapo’s New Sub-G Smart Sensors! Get Started Here!

2023-04-12 22:17:50 - last edited 3 weeks ago

Welcome to the Forum for Tapo’s New Sub-G Smart Sensors!

This thread will serve to gather any common issues seen across the community, answer any of questions that we see from week to week, and keep everyone updated on the most recent feature updates for your devices.

As this module will include various products and network configurations, please feel free to provide examples of how you have used your Sub-GHz devices to automate your home as a guide to others.

Please Direct All Your Feedback for Tapo Devices to the Feature Requests Section of the Forum for increased visibility so others may vote to show their support and so that our teams can properly track and provide updates on any requests.

Start a New Thread on the Sub-GHz Forum Here

🏡 Community Series - Automating Your Home with Sub-GHz Sensors:

T300 – Water Leak Sensor Automations and Features

T100 – Motion Sensor Automations and Features

(Coming Soon) T110 – Contact Sensor Automations and Features

(Coming Soon) T310 / T315 – Temperature and Humidity Automations and Features

(Coming Soon) Automating Your Home with Sub-Ghz

❓ Common FAQs and Community KBs:

How to Pair Your Tapo Sensor with a Sub-GHz Hub

Common Questions for TP-Link Matter-Enabled Devices

Compatibility with Tapo Sensors and Matter Protocol

KB: Creating Automations with Temperature and Humidity

⭐ Highlights:

Getting Started with Local Smart Actions

You can expect to see content revolving around the increased automations capacity and some unique examples of how to use the devices over the coming months. The improvements to your Tapo Smart Home are only just starting!           

Options
2 Reply
Re:Welcome to the Forum for Tapo’s New Sub-G Smart Sensors! Get Started Here!
2024-06-24 18:14:11 - last edited 2024-06-24 18:14:43

@Riley_S Good Morning Boss! again, here i go with the oddball questions: what is the detection pattern for this PIR device? i have looked at the datasheet, and it specifies that it is 120* FOV and uo to 7m. but what i need to know is the IR dispersion pattern. is it 360* and entirely conical? can it be ceiling mounted and achieve equal detection in all directions? i have ordered several other devices, including the current ikea pir which provide no info of their dispersion and detection field but which appear to be potentially 360 detection, only to find that they are not, and for no discernible reason, just unnecessarily design limited. i am in need of a ceiling mountable 360 pir, and 120* FOV would be awesome. if it exists...

Options
Re:Welcome to the Forum for Tapo’s New Sub-G Smart Sensors! Get Started Here!
2024-06-26 18:52:25

Nice to hear from you again!

@PaLaCasa599,

Assuming you mean the T100 Motion Sensor:

Detection Angle: 120 Degrees; Distance: 7m

As far as I can tell, it is somewhat conical, as I had it sideways for a good month before I realized it But I would be more than happy to manually verify if you know of a way since a vertical installation may behave differently. The QIG does have images that indicate that a lower placement is desirable and I will reach out the team to verify.

I will have to say that while it can be far easier to place a single sensor in the room, you may have more accurate detections and an overall better time using sensors on a horizontal plane, since the changes in infrared are less sudden, occur over a longer period of time, and are easier to detect.

From my own experience, I opt to place 2 PIR sensors in each room as this also has the impact of catching small movements or preventing subjects from being partially obstructed by furniture. (It also allows me to tighten the delay to turn off my lights - saving a little bit of power and making my home feel 'smarter')

c984fbb598e54c08a9ee12cf4de4f98f

It would look like something like this but its actual performance would vary depending on your ceiling height and needed coverage.

b629034b64224a528920e0055a65d37d

Options