[Tapo App] iOS 18 Widget Support
[Tapo App] iOS 18 Widget Support
2024-06-21 10:20:29
Tags: #TP-Link Tapo iOS App
Model: Tapo C125  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.15

Hi,

I'm on iOS 18 Beta and there seems to be no way to use the legacy widgets currently the Tapo App supports.

As per Apple iOS 18 Release notes :

Deprecation:

• Legacy Today View extensions are removed in iOS 18. (116246167)

Is Tapo App team aware of this and is there any plans to introduce widget support with WidgetKit framework?

Much Thanks!

Options
27 Reply
Re:[Tapo App] iOS 18 Widget Support
2024-06-21 18:55:27

Hey @Panzerr,

Thanks for putting this on our team's radar, we haven't been following the latest beta releases and werent aware of the change.

After speaking briefly with my team, it seems that our dev team is aware of the deprecation, and more information will be given about our implementation of the framework when available - we just have not heard of anything on our side. I am reaching out to the teams to see if there is any news or plans for when iOS18 officially launches.

Options
2024-07-11 00:35:58

Hi @Riley_S - is there any update on the widget? It's difficult to use Kasa app without scenes in the widget 

Options
2024-07-15 23:24:23

Hi, just adding my comment to bump this - just updated to the public beta and legacy widgets disappearing was a bit of an unwelcome surprise. Annoying that Apple didn't give any warning of this!

Options
2024-07-16 12:08:46
I agree it’s slightly annoying to go to the app to turn ON/OFF something or view Live feeds every time after getting used to those widgets. Also the Add to Siri shortcuts via the iOS shortcuts app don't work either, it just open the Tapo App and does nothing afterwards.
Options
2024-07-22 10:49:49

@Riley_S Hi Riley,

Any update with the widget matter?

Options
2024-07-23 21:22:06

@Ates,

No update yet. Unfortunately, with iOS18 still in its preview phase, there is nothing concrete that I can necessarily provide - especially since things may be still in development or requirements could change. I will see if I can get more information before the version's final release - but we may need to wait until then.

Options
2024-07-29 18:14:32 - last edited 2024-07-29 18:14:39

@Ates,

I heard back from our teams, indicating that they are aware of the difference in widget compatibility. We should see an update closer to if not with the iOS 18 update. They indicated that, in general, we do not support features that have not seen their official launch due to potential changes before release.

I did ask if we would be able to see a Test Flight of the widget support prior to the official release, and they indicated that it depends on the progress and stability of development. If they are going to put together a test flight for the feature, they will reach out and I will provide an update here. Otherwise, we will need to wait for the official release of iOS 18.

Options
2024-07-31 22:37:17

@Riley_S 

thanks for the infos!

im also looking forword for this update 

Options
2024-08-01 16:18:32

@Riley_S to be honest, I don't understand their logic here.

Developer beta is released and provided just for that purpose, for developers to be able to udpate their applications so they are fully ready for final iOS release in September. Other apps are being updated now, new features are being added and tested by end-users. 

In this specific case, task is not to test or pilot anything new. It's simply to update widget so it's compatible with latest standard, which btw. is in place for a while as the most of the other widgets were compatible with this new standard right away when beta 1 was released.

It's not iOS 18 compatibility. iOS 18 simply is not allowing you to use the older standard anymore, and even if somehow TP-LINK developers didn't know that old standard would be retired with iOS 18, they should try to keep their widgets up-to-date, not rely on the older standard and wait until it's retired..

for the ones with many scenes, missing this widget badly, you can add scenes to shortcuts and add them to control center in IOS18... BUT, by Kasa app there is a message in shortcut that it will be retired with next version so who knows for how long it will work

Options
2024-08-03 03:21:27

I have to agree with @Mike1722 here. The "new" widget style has been supported since iOS 14 - which was released in Sept 2020. iOS 18 doesn't add a new widget type, it simply deprecates the older style, so there's no reason to wait to implement them... they're already 4 years late.

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 3430

Replies: 27

Voters 7

+ 3 Voters

Tags

TP-Link Tapo iOS App