Installing an Tapo Smart Switch at the end of a circuit

2024-07-22 14:01:28 - last edited 2024-07-22 14:02:30
Model: S505  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently bought a Tapo Smart Switch to control some outdoor lights. The only switch was put at the end of the circuit so there is only one wire 14/2 going into the box. The Black is hot as always and the green is ground. In this situation the White provides the power to the lights when the switch is flipped. Now the Smart Switch has 2 black wires, a white, and a green. What is the configuration used in this situation? Do I just cap one of the two black wires which would usually be the load wire or do I cap the neutral since the neutral is really on the lights after the switch?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Installing an Tapo Smart Switch at the end of a circuit
2024-07-22 16:29:29

@pfunk42529,

You may want to actually map out how your wires and fixtures are all connected. In general, you will only see success with a smart switch if all the wires are used. It sounds as though your wires may have already been repurposed, so it is even more important to verify all the wires since you do not want your power to leak onto your home's neutral wiring.

You will also need to make sure that however your power is being provided that it passes through the switch, prior to the fixture. If your power arrives at the switch through the fixture, the switch will not work properly - especially since the switch is not able to stay powered for its smart connectivity. Also, for most smart switches to function, they will need to have their own neutral connection to help maintain a consistent electrical current.

Options