How to Configure WireGuard VPN on Omada Controller

How to Configure WireGuard VPN on Omada Controller

22 Reply
Re:How to Configure WireGuard VPN on Omada Controller
2023-10-31 17:35:26

@FlameOtter 

Connecting on the Local LAN works fine.  Connecting over OpenVPN works fine.

Options
2023-11-01 02:17:13

Hi @Booneville 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Booneville wrote

Is there something that needs to be done so I can access computers on the network after connecting through wireguard. I specifically need to RDP to one computer.

Consider the firewall on your Windows PC. Quite common to face RDP issue when you are connecting to it via VPN (because your VPN IP is unknown) to the computer.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-01 13:17:08

@Clive_A 

If it works over the OpenVPN solution, should it not work over the WireGuard solution.

My understanding is that the WireGuard works faster, but I really like the limiting access to peers directly with WireGuard.

I also see that when connected through WireGuard, I cannot ping anything on the network.

The Network subnet is 192.168.1.1/24 and the WireGuard is a 192.168.100.1/24 network.

Options
2023-11-02 02:57:53

Hi @Booneville 

Booneville wrote

@Clive_A 

If it works over the OpenVPN solution, should it not work over the WireGuard solution.

My understanding is that the WireGuard works faster, but I really like the limiting access to peers directly with WireGuard.

I also see that when connected through WireGuard, I cannot ping anything on the network.

The Network subnet is 192.168.1.1/24 and the WireGuard is a 192.168.100.1/24 network.

Please go and start a new thread. I'll follow it up. 

It does not matter what kind of subnet you use because WG creates the routings automatically.

Also, if you use the official firmware, please update to the beta which fixes problems with the WG VPN. See the pinned thread.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-16 01:31:13

@Clive_A Thank you so much for this incredibly helpful guide, had my first connection up and running in no time.  I'm struggling with my second peer device though and hoping you can help.  Firstly, am I correct in assuming that I can run one a single WireGuard server and have multiple simultaneous unique peer accounts connected?  If so, I'm doing something wrong, because when the second peer trys to connect, the first stops working.  I setup the first peer interface as per the guide on 10.0.0.1/24 and the second as 10.0.0.2/24 - is this perhaps where I am going wrong?

Options
2023-11-16 01:43:59

Hi @Grigsy 

Grigsy wrote

@Clive_A Thank you so much for this incredibly helpful guide, had my first connection up and running in no time.  I'm struggling with my second peer device though and hoping you can help.  Firstly, am I correct in assuming that I can run one a single WireGuard server and have multiple simultaneous unique peer accounts connected?  If so, I'm doing something wrong, because when the second peer trys to connect, the first stops working.  I setup the first peer interface as per the guide on 10.0.0.1/24 and the second as 10.0.0.2/24 - is this perhaps where I am going wrong?

Firstly, am I correct in assuming that I can run one a single WireGuard server and have multiple simultaneous unique peer accounts connected?
Yes. One server can allow multiple peers to join. On the server, you don't have to specify the Endpoint but you gotta specify the Endpoint on the rest of the peers(AKA clients).

I setup the first peer interface as per the guide on 10.0.0.1/24 and the second as 10.0.0.2/24 - is this perhaps where I am going wrong?

I probably go with 10.0.0.1/32, because the interface does not matter too much in this situation. Even if you set it to be 10.0.0.1/24, and 10.0.0.2/24, it should not affect the connection based on my previous configuration.

So, you can go with either 10.0.0.1/32 10.0.0.2/32, and so on. Interface often does not conflict with each other. So I think it is fine.

Options
2023-11-16 01:55:20
Thanks for quick response. I guess whatever the issue is isn't related to the addressing then, as sounds like my existing setup should be working. Any other thoughts on why the second device connecting would cause the first to stop working? It doesn't disconnect for the server, but all communications stop working (can't access local servers or websites through the tunnel)
Options
2023-11-16 09:40:06

Hi @Grigsy 

Grigsy wrote

Thanks for quick response. I guess whatever the issue is isn't related to the addressing then, as sounds like my existing setup should be working. Any other thoughts on why the second device connecting would cause the first to stop working? It doesn't disconnect for the server, but all communications stop working (can't access local servers or websites through the tunnel)

Does the tunnel still show up in the tunnel list? You can start a new thread and post your config screenshots so I can help you check it.

Options
2023-11-18 03:15:59 - last edited 2023-11-18 03:17:45

@Clive_A Yayy! Finally got it configured and working between a remote Windows 11 Pro (V.23H2) client PC to a wireguard server configured on a TP-Link ER8411 router (via static public WAN IP) at home with an Omada OC200 HW Controller. Really appreciate the tutorial. Took me a while to get it sorted, but that's due to my misunderstanding, not the tech, which works great! Thanks so muchly!

Now to try to add a second remote client device located overseas. The tutorial doesn't discuss how to do this but, if I understand it correctly, I would need to set up a new PEER in the WG.VPN server for each remote client, and each remote client would need an individual <clientName> conf file. Would that be correct?

Thanks again.

Paul

Paul
Options
2023-11-20 02:08:48

Hi @paulrob 

paulrob wrote

@Clive_A Yayy! Finally got it configured and working between a remote Windows 11 Pro (V.23H2) client PC to a wireguard server configured on a TP-Link ER8411 router (via static public WAN IP) at home with an Omada OC200 HW Controller. Really appreciate the tutorial. Took me a while to get it sorted, but that's due to my misunderstanding, not the tech, which works great! Thanks so muchly!

Now to try to add a second remote client device located overseas. The tutorial doesn't discuss how to do this but, if I understand it correctly, I would need to set up a new PEER in the WG.VPN server for each remote client, and each remote client would need an individual <clientName> conf file. Would that be correct?

Thanks again.

Paul

In response to the red mark, redo Steps 2 and 3. Yes. You are correct.

Options