Tapo C320WS Image Issue

Tapo C320WS Image Issue

Tapo C320WS Image Issue
Tapo C320WS Image Issue
2024-03-15 13:37:01 - last edited 2024-03-22 02:46:59
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.7

Having issues with a Tapo C320WS.  Every morning when I wake up and check on the camera the image is blurred and the camera hasn't recorded anything.  If I reboot the camera everything goes back to normal.  Sometime during the night the camera image goes blurry again and the camera stops recording.  It has started doing this almost every night.  The images below show the camera image before and after a reboot - nothing else was changed (same outdoor light, same indoor light, etc).  What is the issue?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Tapo C320WS Image Issue-Solution
2024-03-18 08:02:03 - last edited 2024-03-22 02:46:59

@Maynard_Rowley 

Hi,
Your camera seems placed towards a window, in this situation, the infrared lights may cause reflection when the camera works in the Night mode, resulting in blurry and unclear images. Generally, we don't suppest placing a camera behind a window, and you can change the position of the camera for a try.
How to position my TP-Link camera for optimal performance?
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-19 10:28:16 - last edited 2024-03-22 02:47:01

@Maynard_Rowley 

Hi,
I think the problem happens when the camera switches from Day mode to Night mode, the infrared lights turn on, and the window reflects the light thus camera's image is blurry. After you reboot the camera, if there is enough light in the monitoring range and the camera does not switch to Night mode, the camera's image will be clear.
You can try switching the camera to night mode manually on its Live View page at night and check if the image will be blurry.

Usually, the camera will change the Video Mode between Day Mode and Night Mode automatically if you have selected Auto, and if there is enough light in the monitoring range, the camera may not switch the mode so you see the problem happens sometimes only.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2024-03-18 08:02:03 - last edited 2024-03-22 02:46:59

@Maynard_Rowley 

Hi,
Your camera seems placed towards a window, in this situation, the infrared lights may cause reflection when the camera works in the Night mode, resulting in blurry and unclear images. Generally, we don't suppest placing a camera behind a window, and you can change the position of the camera for a try.
How to position my TP-Link camera for optimal performance?
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo C320WS Image Issue
2024-03-18 15:53:03

@Solla-topee if it's a reflection off the window then why does the image clear after a reboot?  Why does it only do it some nights and not others?  Why did it just start doing it after working perfectly fine for ~1-2 months?

Options
2024-03-19 10:28:16 - last edited 2024-03-22 02:47:01

@Maynard_Rowley 

Hi,
I think the problem happens when the camera switches from Day mode to Night mode, the infrared lights turn on, and the window reflects the light thus camera's image is blurry. After you reboot the camera, if there is enough light in the monitoring range and the camera does not switch to Night mode, the camera's image will be clear.
You can try switching the camera to night mode manually on its Live View page at night and check if the image will be blurry.

Usually, the camera will change the Video Mode between Day Mode and Night Mode automatically if you have selected Auto, and if there is enough light in the monitoring range, the camera may not switch the mode so you see the problem happens sometimes only.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-19 13:23:04

@Solla-topee If the issue was caused when the camera switches from day mode to night mode then how/why was the image staying perfectly clear all night for the first 1-2 months of use?  And why does the image still remain clear all night some nights and not others?

Also, having a camera that can't be placed behind glass is kind of stupid.  If I put the camera on the other side of the window it would take a thief 30 seconds to disabled it by yanking it off the wall.  If it was mounted high enough to prevent tampering then the view would be too skewed to be useful.

Not pleased with these cameras.  I thought they were great at first but this image issue pretty much makes them useless.

Options
2024-03-20 08:38:30

@Maynard_Rowley 

Hi,
When the Video Mode on the camera's Live View page is set to Auto, the camera will switch mode between Day mode and Night mode according to the light conditions of the monitoring area. The camera always had a clear image before, or now it has a clear image at some nights may be that there is enough light in the camera's monitoring area and it will not switch to the Night mode even at night.

If you do not want to change the camera's position, an alternative way is to set the Video Mode to Day mode.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 267

Replies: 5

Related Articles