EAP225 in a remote wooded "canyon" area? New leaves have crushed signal/bandwidth

EAP225 in a remote wooded "canyon" area? New leaves have crushed signal/bandwidth

2024-05-08 13:07:06
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I have a rather unique install as I've moved into a remote location that has an existing house at in the middle of a ridge/canyon - I'm located at the bottom. The primary house has Starlink, and I've got that hooked up to the EAP225 via ethernet to the outside, which worked rather well, but the recent tree growth has taken a MUCH larger toll on signal strength and throughput than I thought it would.

From the primary house, we are also trying to cover a rather long driveway traversing the botton of the ridge down to the road - as this is the only way to even CALL people via phone, but is convenient for security cameras and such as well.

At first, I was thinking I should I should get some 9DBi antennas that would help, but the more I look at things, the less I think that will help - the total distance is MAYBE 1/8th mile. That sounds long in traditional wifi sense, but in reality (and gain-wise) that probably means I'd be more optimized with like a 3db antenna, correct?

Also, I have an EAP110 sitting around - can that mesh with the EAP225 (at my location) to further boost the signal down there? I realize it would only be 2.4ghz, but I'm curious.

The other option is just to shoot my Ubiquiti unit at the house to pick up starlink to the lower location, and use the EAP225 from there - but I don't think that's ideal as it's lower.

My main issue is just the leaves - short of trimming a bunch of stuff, what's my best option? Optimize power and antennas for the max distance we'll use (ie shorter than the 5db that comes with it?)

I don't have much experience with mesh, if I had a 225 up top and a 225 at the lower location, in theory they'd "mesh" if we were to walk/drive down the driveway and for security camera usage, etc? Again, if so, could my 110 serve the same purpose? (for the lower mesh unit). 

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:EAP225 in a remote wooded "canyon" area? New leaves have crushed signal/bandwidth
2024-05-08 15:00:22

@EstorilM 

The 110 cannot mesh. 

The 225 meshes on the 5.8G band which doesn't propagate as far as 2.4G

Foliage is like a sponge for 2.4G...think it's bad now? wait until you get some serious rain.

Given your distance (600-700') you are way past any kind of meshing range, even if you had clean line of sight.

If you can't just run fibre between the buildings, then what about a mast to get above the treetops and get a clear line of sight?  

Regardless, you'll want the highest gain, narrowest beam antennae you can find/afford, typicall those are in the 9-11dBi range and have <= 30' beams in either horizontal or vertical.   You are probably looking at something more like a pair of CPE710 for what you are trying to achieve.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options