Slow Download but Fast Upload?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-15 22:04:07
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi Guys

Just purchased the AV600 Powerline Wi-Fi Kit, I have connected all fine quite close to one another and ran a speed test with the adapters and all ran well.
I have now moved the extender to another few rooms in the house and ran the same test. Download speed drops from 50+mbs to 3-4mbs but the upload speed stays the same? I've installed the Utility manager and checked the connection which is at 124mbs. I've tried to update the firmware and the manager can't see the download in my folder?

Anybody else experienced the same issue and have a fix? I've unplugged all the high energy appliances in the house to run these tests.

Many Thanks
Mark
Options
6 Reply
Re:Slow Download but Fast Upload?
2019-11-04 23:12:23
I have this same issue with the AV1000 - download speeds seem to top out around 12-15Mbps, but upload will head to 25-30...?! Did you ever find anything out about this issue?
Options
2019-11-05 03:15:19

@enterthewebb 

We have some AV1000 products, what is the model number of yours? 

Who is your ISP and what is the bandwidth you paid? 

With computer connected to the main router directly, what is the speed you can get? 

Please use the tpPLC utility to verify the powerline link rate between the powerline adapters. 

And you can plug them into the same room to test the speed. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-11-05 15:20:31

@Kevin_Z it is the TL-PA7010 KIT. I actually did some moving around of the endpoint last night and found that, probably due to the way it was wired because it's an addition, that entire section of this house has lousy signal. Trying some other locations I was able to get speeds ranging from 50-100Mbps, so I went back to wireless extension for the room I was trying to cover, and use this kit to instead add an outdoor AP wired through a window! ;-)

I'm renting this place, so I don't have the option to run new Ethernet wiring...

All that said - is there anything that can be done or configured differently to overcome issues like this? I don't know the run lengths, but I'd be really surprised if I was hitting distance limits...

Options
2019-11-06 02:56:21

@enterthewebb 

Thanks for your reply, from your description, it seems that the power line network environment affects the actual performance. 

While you can try to change another outlet to plug the extender unit on the room you need boost signal for; 

And please ensure that the firmware is up to date. Try to disable power saving mode. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2018/

Note: Please use tpPLC utility to do so.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-09-16 06:04:29
I have recently purchased a AV600 kit and I'm experiencing the same difference with up/down speeds (both WiFi and Cable). My internet connection is a 100 Mbps fiber that maxes out when testing over LAN. What I did discovered was that if I switched the position of the devices and connected the WiFi extender unit (TL-WPA4220) to the router and run the tests with a network cable the result was reversed! This of course defeats the idea of the extender, but I had an old Access point I could use with the powerplug so that will have to do for now.
Options
2021-09-16 07:08:44

Hey @MikaelS , 

Thank you for feedback, as this thread was started years ago,  we encourage you to create a new thread from here with the case details ( router& powerline device speedtest results, download tpPLC Utility and check the powerline rate between 2 powerline units), we would look into the issue further, thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 15438

Replies: 6

Related Articles