Solid red LED - crashed Deco units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Solid red LED - crashed Deco units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
48 Reply
Re:Solid red LED - crashed Deco units
2020-11-29 13:08:16
The same problem overhere. In the beginning every 6-7 weeks a red led. But now every week. I have also de M9. Pretty dissapointing. A hard reset is the only solution.
Options
Re:Solid red LED - crashed Deco units-Solution
2020-11-30 08:27:21 - last edited 2022-05-05 10:20:51

@Dennis24 

Please refer to the following link for more suggestions:

Main Deco turned red light

and if after a factory reset, the LED had no change, please refer to this link:

Abnormal LED lights on the Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-08 12:43:38

@TP-Link 

Hi, 

i have a deco M4 unit. i am unable to complete the set up of the unit. the light turns to a solid red and app says unable to connect to the internet during the testing of internet connection. hoping for ylur assistance.

Options
2021-01-03 22:08:34 - last edited 2021-01-03 22:12:59

@TP-Link 

My units started acting up today also. I could connect to the wireless network, but the Deco main unit would not connect to the internet. Internet was working fine on all my wired units (connected to the switch).

I tried the normal restarts and resets of ISP-modem, switch and M5 units. I tried deleting the wifi (in the app) and creating it again. I tried swapping the main unit. I tried the fix with TFTP tool (this did not work, the software never started flashing new firmware - not sure what i did wrong here - however I could connect to the main unit and update firmware just fine via cable).

No matter what i tried the light was solid red - no internet connection.

Then I tried this, from your post

3. change the DNS server on the APP to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4;

So: In app go to.. Advanced -> IPv4 -> Internet connection -> tick off Recevive DNS automatic and type in primary and secondary (<-- transleted from norwegian, could be named different in english).

Then I finally got the main unit to connect to internet. When setting up the other M5 units I first had to reset it, otherwise it would not start to blink blue during setup.

I have no idea what happened here, but it was a nightmare to get working again. There was no power surge or internet loss when this problem occured.

Options
2021-01-04 02:11:23

@Kyrre 

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your detailed information.

Did you have Deco M5 or Deco M9 Plus?

--Did the main Deco still work well till now?

By the way, who is your internet service provider, and what is the model number of your cable modem?

Are you able to draw me a detailed topology of the whole network system from the modem to Deco units?

And was it the first time that the issue started?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-01-04 07:32:12 - last edited 2021-01-04 07:38:31

@TP-Link 

It is Deco M5. I have 3 units - The main unit is in the 2. floor in the center of the house and I have 1 unit on each side of the house in the 1. floor. The 2. and 3. unit is connected wireless to the main unit. The mesh network is set to AP in the app.

The main unit (and the entire mesh) has been working fine since about 01. september 2019. This was the first time this happened.

My ISP is Telenor, and my modem is a Zyxel P8702n. This is a modem/switch/router all in one - but I have disabled the wifi.
This is old tech, ADSL, but fiber is coming this year - Finally! 

Here is a sketch over my network, hope it makes sense

( Not my intention to hi-jack the thread from OP - I hope there are no hard feelings :) )

Options
2021-01-12 17:53:58

TP-Link wrote

@Dennis24 

Hi, all,

Thank you very much for your concern about this case.

Please refer to the following information:

1. if the LED is solid red all the time and reset did not change it, it might be bricked and please refer to the following instruction to do the firmware recovery:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2958/

2.if the Deco would randomly turn red, or when the internet service was down, Deco was red and could not return to green when the internet is recovered,  The Deco might have some instability issue.

There is some suggestion for your reference:

1. Make sure the firmware on the Deco is up to date;

2. change a different Deco as the main Deco;

3. change the DNS server on the APP to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4;

4. if possible, please wired the red Deco via Ethernet cable to the main Deco, or move closer to the main Deco to see If there is any improvement;

And if the above suggestion did not make any difference, please feel free to send me a private message for further assistance.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

@TP-Link 

Hi, I've experiencing the same problem for several weeks now. Randomly, the Deco will turn red for a few seconds, and then revert back to green. 

It has been doing so almonst on daily basis, and I don't any apparent reason. The firmware's up to date, I changed the DNS server to no avail. Would appreciate any other (permanent solution).

Thank you.

Options
2021-01-13 06:43:01

@HGMota 

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback.

Could you please help me check the following information:

1. Could you please draw a picture of the network map about your system?

2. Who is your internet service provider and what is the model number of your internet cable modem?

3.What is the operating mode on the Deco, wireless router mode or access point mode?

4.And when the LED went red, if you check under the more>advanced>IPV4, was there still any internet IP address?

5. Have you ever checked with the internet service provider to see if there Is any instability on their side?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-23 15:24:17

TP-Link wrote

@HGMota 

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback.

Could you please help me check the following information:

1. Could you please draw a picture of the network map about your system?

2. Who is your internet service provider and what is the model number of your internet cable modem?

3.What is the operating mode on the Deco, wireless router mode or access point mode?

4.And when the LED went red, if you check under the more>advanced>IPV4, was there still any internet IP address?

5. Have you ever checked with the internet service provider to see if there Is any instability on their side?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

@TP-Link 

The deco is connected to a router via ethernet cable. From there it powers all internet-able devices in my house.

2. ISP: Altice Dominicana. The model is Sagemcom F@st 3284.

3. The operating mode is wireless router.

4. Haven't checked it. It hasn't turned red since I last posted on the forum.

5. I have not. But when the deco goes red, the router is still connected to the internet, and if I switch a device to that network, it is also connected.

Options
Same problem here after power outage
2021-01-27 18:34:19

@bartf71 i have the same issue. Everytime I have a power outage or a loss of net from the provider, I need to do a hard reset on my main deco 60, connect it directly to the modem with the oem cat cable, flash the modem and remove the cable and set up the whole system over again.  Its HIGHLY annoying and inconvenient. 

Options