tpPLC utility can't log in to WPA4220 WiFi extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-10 14:49:52
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 20190326-rel45151

I have WPA4220 kit (one PLC adaptor, one PLC/WiFi extender).

I updated to latest firmware.

--> wpa4220v4_us-up-ver4-0-2-P1-20190326-rel45151-APPLC

Using web browser, I can log in at http://tplinkplc.net with no problem.  The password is unchanged from factory default (admin).

The GUI does NOT ask for userid, only password.

After logging in through browser GUI, I configured WiFi settings and other parameters.  Everything works fine:-)

I wish to disable low-power mode, so I downloaded the Mac version of tpPLC utility.

It can see both the adaptor and the extender, and displays excellent PLC connection between the two.

It can use the Settings gear icon to access the settings of the adaptor. No password is requested when I click on the icon of the adaptor.

But the utility cannot access the extender. When I click on extender icon, the utility requests userid and password.

I tried admin/admin.  I tried admin/password.  I tried admin and empty password. 

None of these guesses work.

What is the userid and password to use for accessing the PLC WiFi extender using the tpPLC utility?

Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:tpPLC utility can't log in to WPA4220 WiFi extender
2019-05-14 05:55:34

Hi,

The default username and password should be admin and all in lower case. If it does not work, you can hard reset it by holding the reset button/hole and then relogin with the default userid and password.

Meanwhile, only the powerline adapter supports power saving mode, the extender does not; so you can refer to the instruction below to disable power saving mode. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2018/

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:tpPLC utility can't log in to WPA4220 WiFi extender
2019-05-18 00:55:40

As you read in my ticket, I tried to log in to the PLC extender using admin (all lowercase) for userid, and admin (all lowercase) for password just as you advised.

They were rejected. 

However when I log in to the extender's web interface, the password admin is successful. 

Does the extender use different credentials for access using the tpPLC utility than it uses for the web interface? If not, why doesn't admin not work with the utility? The unit is brand-new, just out of the box.  So login using admin should work, but does not.

Thank you for advice that the WiFi extender does not support power-saving mode. I suppose that eliminates the need to log in to it, so I will stop trying.

Options
Re:Re:Re:tpPLC utility can't log in to WPA4220 WiFi extender
2019-05-20 09:56:45

Hi,

Yep, you do not have to login to the extender via the utility cause there is no power saving mode;

While back to your case, that is a little weird, the login password should be the same.

Could you please show me a picture of the error message when you tried to login to the extender via the tpPLC utility? 

And have you tried to hard reset the WPA4220 to give it a go?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:tpPLC utility can't log in to WPA4220 WiFi extender
2019-05-22 12:33:44

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

Yep, you do not have to login to the extender via the utility cause there is no power saving mode;

Since there's no power saving mode in the extender, I abandoned efforts to log in to it.

And since the extender + adaptor are working fine, I decided not to hard reset it.  It took me quite a while getting the two of them to work together, and I don't want to go down that path again.   (as they say: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").

Thanks for your help.

Options
2021-06-10 16:20:07

@Kevin_Z Hi, I seem to be having the same issue. I have typed in the wireless password as indicated on the extender, and had no issues connecting to it via wifi, it simply will not be recognised by my phone

File:
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-11 at 00.19.33.jpegDownload
Options
2021-06-24 08:20:15

@Nick690 Hello, 

From the photo, the powerline unit requires a login password, defaut login passwod is ' admin' after you login, please change wifi settings by instruction here:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1576/ 

Or you could download this tpPLC Utility on computer and customize wireless settings for powerline units.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wpa4220-kit/

Here is an FAQ to change a WIFI name and password for WiFi powerline unit :
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1611.html

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6656

Replies: 6