Devices locked out of 2.4ghz band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-10 21:46:21 - last edited 2019-07-10 22:14:13
Model: Archer C3150  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.0.0 0.9.1 v005f.0 Build 170926 Rel.63400n

I have been having major issues with this router, basically since I bought it.   For some reason (even with smart connect disabled)  The router locks devices out of connecting to the 2.4 ghz network  (even if they have a reserved ip)  about 3 minutes after a reboot.    

This makes it very difficult to keep all my IoT devices online,  and makes it annoying when trying to connect mobile devices (laptop, tablet, phone) while outside, where the 5ghz will not reach yet the 2,4 shows a strong signal and ssid,  yet refuses a connection attempt.  

I really cannot determine a cause other than a faulty router or firmware bug (have had numerous error code 1-unknown error messages).  I have tried everything from scanning the neighbourd wifi usage and changing the 2.4 channel accordingly.   I have tried moving my reserved ip's outside of the normal dhcp range.   To the best I can tell, about 3 minutes after a reboot,  the dhcp server seems to stop handing out ip's to any device (even a tp-link smart switch) trying to connect to the 2.4 band, or perhaps is stopping after a particular amount of devices connect. (although the number of succesful connections can vary each time)  

I do have a large number of devices that require the 2.4 band exclusively,  (around 30) which is why I looked for a higher grade router than the gateway router that my ISP offers.  I dont know if i'm still reaching some invisible limit on this router, but the 5ghz band seems to have no issue with more connections.    

If anyone else has experienced this,  please let me know.  I'm at the point of swapping this out for a linksys or asus router.  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Devices locked out of 2.4ghz band
2019-07-12 10:27:46

@Smitty124 

I‘m afraid that the amount of the devices connected affect the performance. 

If possible, you can change another 2.4GHz network name and then try to reboot it, after that, you can add the devices one by one and check what will happen. 

Or you can reduce the amount of the devices connected to the 2.4GHz to do a comparison analysis. 

Besides, you mentioned error code 1, may I know where did you see this error code? At that point, do you have the current issue- devices locked out of 2.4GHz? 

Options
Re:Re:Devices locked out of 2.4ghz band
2019-07-12 17:23:17

I disabled my dhcp reservation table and switched to an alternative: (by programming the required ip directly into 21 of the IoT devices, outside of the dhcp pool and started using ARP reservation for said devices)  This seems to help somewhat and (almost) everything reconnects much faster after a reboot. 

The error code 1's have occurred on numerous instances while logging into the router UI, usually by a computer that is hooked up by a LAN cable.  This may not be related, but i'll capture a log file next time i get one. 

While more of my 2.4 devices are connecting and going back online now,  it still appears almost as if the 'smart connect' feature is enabled (it's not) and steering devices away from using the 2.4,  It only seems to happen when the device used is also capable of 5ghz.  Those are the devices that simply refuse to connect to the 2.4 band  (oddly mimicing the behaviour one would expect if smart connect were enabled)

(ex: iphone gets "could not connect to "network-x", or a false 'incorrect password' error.  Android just saves the ssid but wont connect. A PC just times out while trying to connect).  Unfortunatley that is a BIG nusance when trying to connect outdoors where only the 2.4 will reach. (I do have '2.4ghz only' IoT devices which are working just fine outside)

The orignal gateway/router from my ISP (now a NTU)  still allowed all devices to connect to 2.4 while outside, and while its router UI was slow beyond belief,  it did not have these issues, even with the large workload.  

If I add some wireless access points, perhaps one outside,  should that help balance the load?  Can I hook a dual band outdoor AP up to a powerline kit?  (they would still be using the dhcp provided by the c 3150.)   

Options
Re:Devices locked out of 2.4ghz band
2019-07-17 02:42:56

Problem solved.   Added an outdoor AP driven by a powerline kit.   Fixes 5ghz connection issues and also takes the load off the 2.4ghz on the c3150.  Everything connects and works well now.  

Options
Re:Re:Devices locked out of 2.4ghz band
2019-07-17 06:42:20

@Smitty124 

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that you got it fixed by adding an outdoor AP. 

Now you can enjoy the internet.

If need any further help, do not hesitate to contact us. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1352

Replies: 4