Drastic speed reduction using Powerlink adapters.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-09 18:50:52
Model: TL-PA4010 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: TL-PA4010(UK)_V1_160316

I have today moved into a new home and have fiber to home broadband at 360Mbps installed, when i directly connect to the router I get download speeds of 300+Mbps, however when I connect to my TP Link powerline adapters this drops down to a download speed of at best 2Mbps.

I used all this equipment in my previous home with only 70Mbps broadband and still obtained 60Mbps download speeds with my Powerline connectors.

I have tested the connections all throughout the house (which is a relatively new build house, and has just had a full electrical inspection of the powerlines) and even on a socket on the opposite side of the room from the router and base powerline adapter I still only get 1 - 2 Mbps download speeds.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to improve this, im struggling to accept that the power lines in the modern house are that poor to cause such a drastic drop in connection speed over such short distances.

For information the router that came with the Fiber to home package is as follows:

Product Vendor: Technicolor

Product Name: DWA0120

Options
5 Reply
Re:Drastic speed reduction using Powerlink adapters.
2019-10-10 08:32:36

@OldRusty 

What is the led status of the TL-PA4010KIT? Especially the powerline led. 

Please download the tpPLC utility to verify the powerline link rate between them. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-pa4010-kit/#Utility

Try to change another outlets to plug them.

Besides, with computer connected to the TL-PA4010, please click here  to verify the wired negotiation speed. 

Note: Please click on local area connection or ethernet connection. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-10 10:01:50

@Kevin_Z 

Hello and thanks for the reply, to answer your questions, the LED status of all the TP links in the network are all solid green.

The tpPLC utility  verifies the powerline Link rate between 3 tp links as 152Mbps and 318Mbps

I have moved them around to all the outlets with similar results, and finally the ethernet status is showing as 100Mbps yet when using speed checking websites/apps speeds are very poor, today I managed to get up to 10Mbps but that was it.

Options
2021-10-08 20:04:18

@OldRusty 

Good day, 

I've got a similar issue. The Internet bandwidth goes down as soon as it touched the powerline. I get around 300mbps from the ethernet cable itself before I attach it to the powerline. Testing in the app gives me around 300mbps between the 2 of my powerlines but the bandwidth on the other end goes is reduced to around 50mbps. What is the reason for that? I am getting better results by using wifi repeaters which makes my powerline (TL-PA4010) useless.

I hope someone from support could provide us with a solution.

BR,

Bosu

Options
2021-10-08 20:06:01

I will only add to this that no firmware update is available to my v3 version, at least to my knowledge.

Options
2021-10-21 07:15:41 - last edited 2021-10-21 07:16:09

Hello@Bosu 

TL-PA4010KIT's (AV600) network interface is of 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet port), so the speed come into /out are capped within 100Mbps. 
Speed will get reduced while signal being transmitted long distance through powerline . The real speed is closely related to the powerline rate and also the speed coming from router.  In the actual household environment, real speed test could be 20% to 35% of the Powerline rate and also capped by ISP bandwidth or router speed. Here is a related FAQ explaining the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2928/

From the powerline rate mentioned on your tpPLC app, 50Mbps is a bit slow:

• Try a different wall socket for the extender/ main powerline unit.
  • Exchange to high- quality Ethernet cable between router <->main powerline unit, and Ethernet cable between extender unit<-->computer. 
  • Try to remove some factors as that may affect the powerline rate as the guide here: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/409/      

As the ISP bandwidth is 300Mbps, you could consider upgrade powerline KIT with Gigabit Ethernet port like AV1300. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5951

Replies: 5