Changing 5Ghz bands for different region

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-13 14:17:02 - last edited 2020-09-15 08:38:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hey

I recently received a gift of a 3-pack deco from a friend from the States.

I am currently living in Pakistan. I set it up and everything. Everything is working great, HOWEVER, i found that the deco only broadcasts on bands based on the country. 

USA Supports Bands 36 to 165Mhz in 5Ghz.

Pakistan supports 149 153 157 161 165 in 5Ghz

Now as obvious there is an overlap. Currently my Deco is broadcasting at 44Mhz so none of my phones can see it.

I would like to request a feature to either help us choose bands

or

allow us to choose our current region because people do move countries.

Otherwise I'll never be able to use the 5Ghz band on the deco.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Changing 5Ghz bands for different region-Solution
2020-09-15 09:39:06 - last edited 2020-09-22 01:32:24

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
26 Reply
Re:Changing 5Ghz bands for different region
2019-12-16 08:22:09

@Xinseo 

For the US version, the Deco supports band 1 only; And it is not supported to change the wireless settings manually.

While cause your devices support band 4 only, we will email you and try to find a solution to fix it. 

Please check your inbox. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-16 09:10:27

@Kevin_Z Hey Kevin thanks for the reply. What do you mean by Band 1? From what I've read, the US versions support channels in the 5Ghz range that overlap with allowed Channels in Pakistan. So it should be possible to make it run at a channel that is supported by devices both in Pakistan and USA but it would require help from you guys :)

Options
2019-12-17 02:23:48

@Xinseo 

Band 1 of 5GHz includes channel 36-48, while band 4 contains channel 149-165. We have emailed you; you can keep in touch with our engineer to get a solution. 

Best regards. 

Options
2019-12-17 04:31:27

@Kevin_Z That is very disappointing to hear considering the fact that US does allow band 4 as well. PS I have not received any email from TP Link's engineer so far.

Options
2019-12-20 11:36:48 - last edited 2021-07-30 01:36:55

Just an update for anyone who comes across this.

Kevin escalated my support ticket to the engineering team. The engineering team went out of their way to compile a new beta firmware for me which has allowed all my Decos to broadcast on Band4 (Channel 149+). Now all my devices can connect via 5Ghz without any issues!

10/10 customer support!

Options
2020-02-03 15:57:39

@Xinseo how do we get this firmware or wil lthe feature go GA soon? I have exactly the issues seen in this thread: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/104703?page=2

My lower 5G band is crowded and band 4 is completely open but my Deco X60 won't choose it. 2.4G is also centered along with the majority of local systems rather than shifting to either rend of the range (this is less critical)

Options
2020-02-03 17:55:08

@ViperBoy My case is different in that devices in my country do not support the upper 5Ghz band so TP link forced my decos to always choose the lower band. It doesn't ask me to select which channel I want but it does choose the lower bands (149-155) automatically.

Options
2020-04-17 16:06:52

@Xinseo Hi! and how we can access this functionality??

Options
2020-06-18 22:57:56

@Xinseo. I have the same issue. Since I cannot choose the channels on 2.4G and 5G, I only get crowded channels, results in very bad speeds and reliability. Sometimes it gets to 5Mbps on 2.4G network.

Can someone please enable this feature? Thanks!

Options
2020-09-15 02:18:51

After much searching, I finally bought a 3-pack of M5s.  I probably wouldn't have, though, if I'd known that I'd be locked in to whatever channel the router would choose.  It seems that this limitation has irritated users for quite a while, but TP-Link appears to be dragging its feet on a solution.  Is it really so difficult, or maybe just inertia, or are the sales good enough that they don't feel a need to devote the resources to fix the problem?  It's disappointing!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7082

Replies: 26

Related Articles