Smart device can only be control locally

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-21 15:04:02 - last edited 2020-06-08 06:20:12
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Hi team,

I got more then 1 C200 camera but experience issue:

Smart device can only be control locally.

Please advise how to fix as other are working fine. I have even return and swap device with the seller. I also tried on multiple router as well.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Smart device can only be control locally-Solution
2020-06-08 06:19:55 - last edited 2020-06-08 06:20:12

@bfrens 

Are all the 4 Tapo C200 cameras are connected to the same wireless router? Please check and ensure there is no special setting like Access Control or Firewall that may block the remote access to the camera.

You are suggested to change the DNS server on your wireless host router to 8.8.8.8, then reboot it to give it a go.

But if you still cannot view the cameras from an outside network, please ensure the wireless network you are connected to has internet access. If you are using 3G/4G cellular data, try to contact the SIM card provider to see if there is any limitations when connecting to the cloud servers.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Smart device can only be control locally
2020-03-23 02:02:16

@Arliu 

Hi, what's the light status on the camera? Do you use all the Tapo C200 cameras with the same router? Is there any special settings on the router? Such as firewall, access control or MAC filtering.

When you try to control it remotely, can you see any error message on the app? Does it show offline?

Where did you buy the camera? What's the MAC address of it?

Please try to factory reset the camera and reinstall it.

Options
2020-05-26 08:44:45

@Stella.Q 

Hey,

i'm facing same issue too, i got 4 c200 and only 1 able to remote, the others 3 can't! Please advice!

Options
2020-06-07 13:56:19

@Stella.Q  I have same problem. All on same wifi, but only the first installed can be controlled outside the wifi. Has changed the c200 since I thought it had errors, but the problem remains: only ONE (the first) can be controlled outside the wifi.

Options
Re:Smart device can only be control locally-Solution
2020-06-08 06:19:55 - last edited 2020-06-08 06:20:12

@bfrens 

Are all the 4 Tapo C200 cameras are connected to the same wireless router? Please check and ensure there is no special setting like Access Control or Firewall that may block the remote access to the camera.

You are suggested to change the DNS server on your wireless host router to 8.8.8.8, then reboot it to give it a go.

But if you still cannot view the cameras from an outside network, please ensure the wireless network you are connected to has internet access. If you are using 3G/4G cellular data, try to contact the SIM card provider to see if there is any limitations when connecting to the cloud servers.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-07-29 13:56:39

@Hawkster 

have you got a solution for this issue now. I have got 3 of 4 cameras working fine but 4 says can only be controlled locally?

Thnaks.

Options
2020-08-14 13:14:28

@Solla-topee 

Hi !

I have the same problem as  Hawkster.

First camera's  set up went smoothly. 

second camera "could only be controlled locally" no matter how many rebootes and tricks i did. 

I went to the seller and swaped with an other device. 

BUT i have the same problem.

Now, what do you mean "change the  DNS server on your wireless host router to 8.8.8.8".

I have a topology with myltiple wirelees spots and one balancer router with the dhcp server on it. This router acts as the gateway (also local dns server) for all locall devices and of course gets outside dns ip from the ISP.

Once again, i only have problem with the second devie, not the first. 

Please give us a solution. Is the harware version 1.0 faulty ?

harware version 1.0

firmware version 1.0.6

Options

Information

Helpful: 43

Views: 16730

Replies: 6

Related Articles