HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-13 02:00:31 - last edited 2021-03-09 12:15:02
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

For several weeks now, I experience a strange new issue with a few HS103 smart plugs and also with a KP400 exterior smart plugs where the plugs seem to quickly reboot and cut power for like 1 second, so obviously it makes the lights (or any device) to turn off for like 1 second. I clearly hear the relay inside the smart plugs who "trig" and make the clicking noise.

I am working myself in IT for like 20 years now and I am trying to understand what could be the condition where the HS103 and KP400 relay will "trig" for a second randomly? Obviously it doesn't have nothing to do with the power because in the same room that the HS103 I also have a smart battery UPS who monitor the power and it doesn't detect any power variation.

Is there any Wi-Fi relay condition where the relay inside the plugs can "click" for a second? I have a TP-Link Omada mesh Wi-Fi system at home and one thing I can suspect is that the HS103 and the KP400 smarts plugs may "roam" from one AP to another for any reason... but I am not sure if any Wi-Fi signal issue can make the relay to trig a second...

I have more than a dozen of HS103, HS105 and HS200 but only 2x HS103 and 1x KP400 are affected by this problem yet... but they are not in the same room, nor on the same electrical circuit as well.

Any suggestions???

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly-Solution
2021-03-09 12:14:55 - last edited 2021-04-30 07:06:29

Update 21-04-30

Hello everyone, we have some Beta firmwares for Kasa devices auto- reboot issue, you could find the latest beta firmwares  from thread below:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/262328

If your Kasa device has the same problem, you could comment on the above thread directly. 

* For maintenance purpose, new beta firmwares will be updated on the above thread in the future. 

Recommended Solution
Options
46 Reply
Re:HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly
2020-11-13 19:00:52

@SimonC. I have the same issue with a HS100 where I can hear it click every so often as if it is being sent a request to turn on, but does nothing.

I tried to reset the plug after it refused to turn off remotely, but now I cannot enter setup mode after numerous attempts.

I bought this plug as part of a two plug bundle recently.  I had the spare plug in the drawer however I am unable to enter setup with that plug either.

I suspect there has been a buggy firmware update that has messed things up as it was working fine for a few weeks.

Options
2020-11-13 20:13:04 - last edited 2020-11-13 20:14:22

Saggyhaggis wrote

@SimonC. I have the same issue with a HS100 where I can hear it click every so often as if it is being sent a request to turn on, but does nothing.

I tried to reset the plug after it refused to turn off remotely, but now I cannot enter setup mode after numerous attempts.

I bought this plug as part of a two plug bundle recently.  I had the spare plug in the drawer however I am unable to enter setup with that plug either.

I suspect there has been a buggy firmware update that has messed things up as it was working fine for a few weeks.

@Saggyhaggis I don't remember to see any recent firmware update? However the problem is pretty new to me also because those 2x HS103 plugs are in place for over a year now without any issue and it started to do this issue only a few weeks ago. Since they are powering a wall and a desk lamp (LED lights), it's very annoying because it makes the lights to "flash" on/on for a few milliseconds randomly!!

I just contacted TP-Link technical hotline and the only suggestion they did is to factory reset the plugs and reconfigure them all from scratch to see if it improves the problem.

Options
2020-11-13 21:27:56 - last edited 2020-11-13 21:28:25

I can’t reset mine, it doesn’t work, no matter how many times I’ve tried.

Options
2020-11-16 14:07:42

I finally found many threads on internet forums regarding the exact same issue. I also realized that my HS105 and HS200 are NOT affected by this issue at all, only my HS103s (many) and my KP400 are and this seem to be directly related to the latest firmware update date. Because none of the HS105 or HS200 has recent firmware updates for a while!

So I just opend a ticket with TP-Link who will be elevated directly to the engineering department where I provided all these threads. Hopefully the R&D department will fix what they broke into a new FW update soon. It's still pretty weird to find a lot of thread about this issue and none of them has been elevated to the engineer department yet, I assume that people prefer to search for answer on Google than calling at the manufacturer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TPLinkKasa/comments/j82g1s/hs103_smart_plug_lite_momentary_power_cut/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TPLinkKasa/comments/jufe7u/smart_plug_turned_on_and_off/

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/218170

Options
2020-11-16 17:37:20 - last edited 2020-11-16 17:37:51

Thanks for the update.

I have also opened a support ticket also.

Their response so far is that they are denying that there are any issues and I must be at fault.

The flashing light sequence during set up is totally different from what is described in the app, so something is definitely off.

Options
2020-11-16 19:30:28

Saggyhaggis wrote

Thanks for the update.

I have also opened a support ticket also.

Their response so far is that they are denying that there are any issues and I must be at fault.

The flashing light sequence during set up is totally different from what is described in the app, so something is definitely off.

@Saggyhaggis your problem is a bit different because you are experiencing issues with some HS100 smarts plugs who are EOL (End of life) products from a long time ago. To be honnest I didn't see much threads on discussion forums about issues with HS100, in opposite to HS103 where there's many starting only about a month ago, right when they updated the firmware. So it would be hard for TP-Link to deny that the firmware break something with the plugs. However I totally admit that your issue definitely look very similar to mine with the HS103 and KP400.

Options
2020-11-18 07:33:54

@SimonC. 

Hello, Simon,

Did you receive any reply from the support team?

And can I have you ticket ID from the support email system?

In order to speed up the process, what is the model number of your home router and how about the model of the Omada EAP devices?

Is there any change recently when you noticed the HS103 and KP400 started randomly rebooting?

Options
2020-11-18 07:52:08 - last edited 2020-11-18 08:04:22

@Saggyhaggis 

Good day and sorry for the delay.

I have checked the case record from the email system and could you please help me confirm the following information:

Based on the email,  the issue at the beginning is that the LED lights were abnormal and failed to get into setup mode;

-------Since the plugs were working fine before, Did you reset the plug and want to set it up because the plugs randomly reboot(turn on/off) themselves?

And after several attempts, it was finally set up and the firmware was updated automatically via the APP.

But After the firmware update, the randomly rebooting still existed, right?

------if so, the randomly rebooting issue on the HS100 exists before the firmware update.

Or at the beginning, there is no random reboot and it just started after the firmware upgrade?

As for the firmware 1.1, it would fix the security vulnerability issue that some third parties might take advantage of the vulnerability to manage the plug.

So once you updated the 1.1, some TP-LINK unauthorized third party program might fail to work, such as home assistant.

But it would not cause the random rebooting issue on the plug.

Thank you very much for your time and patience

Options
2020-11-18 11:35:27 - last edited 2020-11-18 14:03:08

Brook wrote

@SimonC. 

Hello, Simon,

Did you receive any reply from the support team?

And can I have you ticket ID from the support email system?

In order to speed up the process, what is the model number of your home router and how about the model of the Omada EAP devices?

Is there any change recently when you noticed the HS103 and KP400 started randomly rebooting?

@Brook 

No, I am still awaiting a reply from the enginneering team. My ticket is TKID201100395 and the answer to all of your question are already enclosed in the ticket since I already answer them all to the support team.

In conclusion, no, there's no change recently in the HS103 and KP400, the HS103 are in place (very exact same place) for more than 1 year and the KP400 more than 6 months. So no changes at all except for the firmware update applied a few weeks ago, then the issues started pretty much at the same time.

Please note that I did a very last test by yesterday in the meantime where I took the KP400 (who was formely outside the house as well) and I bring it inside my house in my home office to observate the KP400's behavior and I connected a small test light (a small LED desk lamp) and the issue still happened several time during the last day (every 1-2 hours). And at this point this test confirm that the KP400 where NOT at the same location at all from the router, NOT on the same electrical circuit at all and NOT having with the same electrical load on it neither.

*EDIT*

@Brook I would like to appologize on one thing that I reported incorrectly. It looks like the HS103-v2 doesn't have any recent firmware update and that the issue affecting all of my HS103-v2 (multiple) have appeared suddently from the no where! However as for the KP400, I never had issues with it, except until the recent firmware update a few weeks ago, that was lead me to that wrong conclusion about firmware update on the HS103-v2 when it was limited to KP400.

I confirmed that my HS103-v2 doesn't have a recent firmware update (for over 1 year ago) because I just found a pair of unsused HS103-v2 plugs in my closet that I use only during the christmas time for my indoor christmas decorations and who has been disabled and stored since Christmas 2019 and when I booted them up today, they were already on firmware 1.1.2 since Christmas 2019 but please be aware that they are also affected by the random "rebooting" issue also!! surprise

I start to think that this random reboot/outage issue can be caused by a kind of bad network call from TP-Link Cloud infrastructure, because obviously theses devices are connected to the internet and receive power on/off commands from your Cloud infrastructure and then a incorrect remote command may cause a device to reboot unexpectedly like this. As working myself in IT for nearly 20 years now, I see that happens already in my career...

Options
2020-11-18 14:32:11

@SimonC. I'm having the same exact issue. I just purchased my plugs about a week and a month ago. I have the KP400 and the KP303. Both are having the issue where it will at random click and disconnent anything using that plug for a split second. I have noticed that if I perform a constant ping on the devices it actually loses network connection when it experiences the clicks. It's like it's reseting the wireless component and has to reestablish connection. I too have a ticket open for the KP400. I didn't realize the KP303 was having the issue because I did not have it in use at the time. Both seem to lose connection at the same time. I checked other devices on my network via a constant ping and nothing else is losing connection at that time or showing any type of ping issue. Only those two plugs. 

Very strange indeed. This is my first experience with Kasa devices. I recently purchased them because they were on sale. I'm beginning to regret that decision... Hopefully they will finally admit an issue and release a firmware update. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8951

Replies: 46

Related Articles