TAPO P100 plug hardware/firmware incompatibility - very unhappy with TP Link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-11 23:13:30 - last edited 2021-02-25 09:28:47
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.9 and 1.3.4

I bought a P100 4-pack last week from Amazon, got them set up with the TAPO app quickly and easily, very happy.

Looked for another 4-pack this week, Amazon and all other vendors linked from your website out of stock. Decided to buy two 2-packs, from Pacetech via Amazon (noting Pacetech are one of your recommended vendors).

Now I find the four newer plugs are incompatible with TAPO (can't add them to new or existing actions ! - also can't move them between rooms, and they lose their settings frequently when unplugged). From other posts on here it seems this is a well-known issue.

My first batch are hardware v1.0 which has firmware 1.3.4, while the second batch are hardware v1.20 with firmware 1.2.9 for which no update is available - it is "coming soon".

TP Link *must* have known about this major problem *before* shipping any of the v1.20 plugs.

This is really poor.

Please confirm when this problem will be fixed, and how.

Regards

William

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TAPO P100 plug hardware/firmware incompatibility - very unhappy with TP Link-Solution
2020-12-16 12:07:44 - last edited 2021-02-25 09:28:47

@Lordvader 

Update:

Hi, the firmware of Tapo P100 V1.2 that supports smart action has been released (version number: 1.4.5), but only some users will receive push notifications.

If the firmware upgrade is not available, please manually check the firmware update in the APP and upgrade to the newest firmware. (Click Me>>Firmware Update)

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TAPO P100 plug hardware/firmware incompatibility - very unhappy with TP Link
2020-12-12 19:22:31
I have also received some v1.2 plugs from Amazon today and stuck with the 1.2.9 firmware and unable to use smart actions within the tapo app. Seems crazy to release plugs that don't even have basic features working
Options
Re:TAPO P100 plug hardware/firmware incompatibility - very unhappy with TP Link-Solution
2020-12-16 12:07:44 - last edited 2021-02-25 09:28:47

@Lordvader 

Update:

Hi, the firmware of Tapo P100 V1.2 that supports smart action has been released (version number: 1.4.5), but only some users will receive push notifications.

If the firmware upgrade is not available, please manually check the firmware update in the APP and upgrade to the newest firmware. (Click Me>>Firmware Update)

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-16 12:31:28

@TP-Link 

Firmware 1.4.3 has appeared for hardware 1.0.0 and appears to resolve my problems !

>>

TP-Link wrote

The firmware of V1.2 to support smart action would be released very soon.

In my 30 years as an IT pro this is perhaps the first time that "very soon" has actually meant "very soon" ! - well done, TP-Link

Regards

W

Options
2021-02-20 00:17:17

@TPL007  I have exactly the same problem with plugs purchased from Amazon in Dec 2020. I had all 14 working throughout my property now they have all stopped functioning correctly. First sign was none of the Alexa routines would work after the issue of new firmware 1.3.4. Build 20200925 Rel 3392 which only two of the plugs accepted but  despite that are still wonky.  All I can do is switch all my devices on or off using my iPhone and that is it, no scheduling no nothing. I put a lot of work into this and now it's all  a giant mess.  I am an IT hardware/network guy so I have tried every alternative under the sun with no success and I have seen some giant hardware screws up in my lifetime but this is in my top ten.  The good news is it's all going back to with a full refund which Amazon have promised to effect on return of the plugs. Jeff Bezos is not all bad.

TPL007 wrote

I bought a P100 4-pack last week from Amazon, got them set up with the TAPO app quickly and easily, very happy.

Looked for another 4-pack this week, Amazon and all other vendors linked from your website out of stock. Decided to buy two 2-packs, from Pacetech via Amazon (noting Pacetech are one of your recommended vendors).

Now I find the four newer plugs are incompatible with TAPO (can't add them to new or existing actions ! - also can't move them between rooms, and they lose their settings frequently when unplugged). From other posts on here it seems this is a well-known issue.

My first batch are hardware v1.0 which has firmware 1.3.4, while the second batch are hardware v1.20 with firmware 1.2.9 for which no update is available - it is "coming soon".

TP Link *must* have known about this major problem *before* shipping any of the v1.20 plugs.

This is really poor.

Please confirm when this problem will be fixed, and how.

Regards

William

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2626

Replies: 4

Related Articles