Sky Q freezes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Sky Q freezes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Sky Q freezes
Sky Q freezes
2020-12-31 09:01:17
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 0.9.1 v009e

Hi

Ive just changed my router to an ArcherVR600 and now my Sky Q box keeps freezing after being powered on for a few minutes. 

The Sky Q box is connected via WiFi.

Is there a solution?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Sky Q freezes
2021-01-06 08:34:52

@SirHarvo 

Can you please provide more details as below, then we can try to investigate?

1. What is the detailed symptom when the Sky Q box freeze, can we have a short video about the issue? 

2. Is the Sky Q box connected to the 5G network or 2.4G? What if you try the other? Is it possible to connect the Sky Q box to the VR600 with an Ethernet cable?

3. How about other services and devices in the network, are they working properly?

4. Was the Sky Q box working fine with the old Sky modem or hub? Are there any special requirements for the modem settings? Try to confirm with the Sky Q box support.

Thanks.

Options
2021-01-30 23:25:10

@SirHarvo Did you manage to resolve this?

@Kevin_Z I have the exact same issue.

I have Sky Broadband and a Sky Q TV subscription where the Sky Q box is also connected by wifi.

I recently changed my router to the same TP-Link Archer VR600 V3 router, which when set up connected to all my devices easily.

1. After the wifi password was added to the Sky Q box to connect to this router, Sky Q kept freezing within a couple minutes of turning it on. The whole screen, menu and sound froze and would only become responsive if you removed the plug from the Sky Q box and let it reboot- then it would re-freeze after a few minutes again.

2. It happens with both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks. Would connecting to the internet via an ethernet cable work? 

3. All other devices and services work correctly

4. Everything was fine before. After I couldn't stop Sky Q from freezing everytime I turned the TV and box on, I set up the old Sky broadband router, connected Sky Q to it again using wifi and the Sky Q box began working again.

Options
2021-01-31 08:45:38

@CharOrange After a couple of days trying everything and no response from support I returned the router. I'm now using the basic EE supplied one which set up really easily and appears to be very stable.

Options
2021-01-31 12:35:29

@SirHarvo fair enough, thanks for responding! I think I'm going to return my router as it's ludicrous that it won't connect when every other third party router seems to connect with Sky Q no problem (from what I've read online and having spoken to people I know.

Options
2021-02-01 03:15:19

@CharOrange 

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same issue as @SirHarvo did, while he had returned his VR600. 

We suggest you try to connect the Sky Q box to the VR600 with an Ethernet cable, check and confirm if there is still an issue; You can also connect it to the guest network to confirm.

BTW, the tech team was made aware of your issue, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Options
2021-05-01 13:12:27

@Kevin_Z I have the same problem. Here are my issues:

• Was with Sky Broadband and Sky Q for TV with 2 x Sky mini's in other rooms.
  • My Sky Broadband was rubbish and the router they supply could not cope with number of devices I had connected and speeds were not good.
  • Changed ISP to ID Net and paid extra for the TP Link Archer VR600 V3
  • As soon as my new Internet went live my Skq Q TV started to freeze
  • I called sky and an engineer replaced with new Box
  • New box is having the same issues and now I can't watch TV for more than 2 minutes without the Sky Q box locking up, which requires a full reboot
  • I have tried it on 2ghz, 5ghz, and Ethernet wired directly to the router, none of these make any different
  • Sky are coming back out next week to look at the box and dish, but I think this is a router issue
  • ISP are stumped but they are a small ISP (much better than sky with better speeds and stable)

I don't think it's the Sky Q box as this only srtarted when I changed IPS and installed the TP-Link router, everything else off this router works fine. 

Options
2021-05-07 09:57:26

@Zero7 

Hii, Thank you very much for your feedback and I have forwarded your case to the senior engineers already;

Please have a check of your email box.

Thanks.

Options
2021-05-30 12:20:22

@TP-Link 

same issue here (Sky Q Italian version with Archer MR600): resolved adding a RE365 extender and using its Ethernet port linked to the main decoder, but I've never had this issue previously with other routers.

any suggestion?

Options
2021-10-05 08:49:15 - last edited 2021-10-05 08:52:37

@SirHarvo Hi All,

I had the same problem and found a solution that works for me, so I will post it here in case anyone finds it useful.

My setup:

* Using Virging Broadband (350Mbps)

* Had a Hub 3 router

* The Hub 3 router often dropped wifi connections for no apparent reason (and this is a real problem when you work from home and is on Teams/webEx/etc. calls)

* I bought an TP-Link Archer AX1800 router

* I put the Hub 3 in modem mode (which weirdly made it display a red light - this threw me off first, but is apparently normal)

* I connected the AX1800 router to the Hub 3 via an Ethernet cable on Port 1 of the Hub 3. This is very important, only Port 1 works when the Hub 3 is in modem mode.

* Initially the AX1800 router could not find the Internet, but after waiting a while (maybe 15 minutes?), and yes, I rebooted everything although I am not sure that was necessary, the AX1800 kicked into life

* Most devices connected to the AX1800 router (after entering the new wifi password etc.) EXCEPT FOR the Sky Q and Sky Q mini boxes

Symptoms for Sky Q and Sky Q mini boxes:

* When trying to connect the Sky Q boxes to the wifi, it would work for a very short while (30s or a minute or so), then completely freeze

* Often, the whole Sky Q box would freeze

* Sometimes, the Sky Q box would freeze even when I restarted it (this was very worrying!)

* But, trying to restart the Sky Q boxes a few times (once leaving it for a good 20 minutes to cool down) finally got past that hump (which you need in order to configure the network settings on the Sky Q boxes!)

My solution:

* First, I turned of the Sky Q mini box so that I only had to work on the Sky Q box to start with

* I knew the problem was with the AX1800 router wifi (when I connected the Sky Q box to the AX1800 with an Ethernet cable, it worked fine)

* Trying a few things, this finally worked for me:

- Turn off "Smart Connect" mode on the AX1800 router (I used the Tether App for this)

- Then, label the two wifi networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz) differently (in my case, added ....2_4GHZ to that network and kept the default name for the 5GHZ network)

* Then, the Sky Q box would eventually connect (and hold the connection!) to the ...2_4GHZ network (note: the Sky Q box only use the 2.4GHZ network, not the 5GHZ network)

- I did see some initial weird disconnects even with this on the Sky Q box, but after leaving it during lunch, it magically just sorted itself

* Turning on the Sky Q Mini box, I went through the setup and likewise managed to connect it to the ..._2_4GHZ network

- Again, some initial weirdness with disconnects

- Another weird result was that the main Sky Q box also disconnected from the wifi when I paired it up with the Sky Q Mini

- But, waiting a while (5-10 minutes?) seems to have sorted all the problems

It seems like the problem is with the Smart Connect feature and the Sky Q boxes (no other devices had an issue with the Smart Connect feature). I have been running the above configuration for a day now, and it seems to work fine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1270

Replies: 9

Related Articles