Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

313 Reply
Re:Web UI Configuration
2023-12-05 15:23:11

@Flea77 

Honestly, the only way I see you using the product is to install an Android emulator on the PC just to be able to install the app somewhere to manage the device.  It's a shame this type of empty void exists in the product.  I love the device and wish I could use it at my location.  During testing it looked very promising and I even loved the perk of having a smart phone app (but more for monitoring than control/setup).

Too bad they don't have some type of backend API...  I could write a web app management page for it.

Options
2023-12-07 10:55:34

@TP-Link I'm searching for new mesh system. I have seen de Deco XE75 Pro, but if I only can manage it with a phone, this will not be my new mesh.

I will not manage any router, mesh, or any net device, without an Web UI.

Options
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-12-13 12:50:51
To me it's fundamental to have a Web UI as with other TP-Link devices, specially something similar to router ones, as Decos have routing capabilities that are much easier to deal with in a WebUI
Options
2023-12-15 14:35:13

@TP-Link web configuration is the standard. You can configure it from every client and is indipendent from download/ install ad app.

PLEASE doit! Because the router work very good but without  "web configuration" I have to prefer other brand.

Options
2023-12-18 10:41:42

@TP-Link X50 PoE customer here - I really like the product but lack of Web UI config is giving me major second thoughts about both the Deco line and limiting my use of them.

I might end up having to go back to a dedicated router and have the X50s operate in AP mode, which is a shame as you lose half of the nice features and makes them rather costly in comparison to your competitors.

Although I appreciated the initial setup using the app, which worked very well to get up and running quickly, I expected ongoing maintenance and general management to be done through a Web UI.

You have the hard bit done. The current Web UI displays some diagnostic information, allows firmware uploads and shows system logs.
Why not go that extra half mile and hook up the config like you have for all of the previous TP-Link routers I've used in the past?

If you want a smaller set of specific use-cases for a Web UI, instead of reimplementing the full app:

• Guest/IoT Toggles
  • Address Reservation
  • Port Forwarding

Those three cover 90% of the time I'd end up opening the Web UI from a desktop computer. Especially the last two.

Here's the things I use that you already have on the X50 Web UI (Thanks!)

• Reboot
  • Firmware Upgrade
Options
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-12-20 04:18:22
Very obvious feature
Options
2023-12-20 15:10:38

@TP-Link 

It is a pain to enter port forwarding rules with the app, furthermore, there's no way to toggle port forwarding,

according to the app's security check one should disable (i.e. delete) the rules when they are not needed and then painfully re-create them when theyneed them.

This is a security risk, people will not delete forwarding rules if it is painful to re-enter them when needed

Options
2023-12-20 16:41:00 - last edited 2023-12-20 16:51:30

@TP-Link 

If you consider what's between the user/owner and the deco system : this is the APP and the cloud.

• One never know when TP-Link will end the support of the APP... and as do other companie in the tech domain : the support won't last as long as the last deco installed in the world remains connected. Any good design in electronics can last several decades, not TP-link support.
  • One never know when TP-Link will end the support of the cloud... and as do other companie in the tech domain : the support won't last as long as the last deco installed in the world remains connected. Any good design in electronics can last several decades, not TP-link support.
  • One never know when TP-Link will end the support of all the versions of android or IOS that were addressed by any version of the application ?
  • Will TP-link replace my smartphone when it will be decided to stop to support it ? (i'm no kid so i don't change my phone when telcos scratch my back. It will get old as some of my computers which are actually 20 years old...just to say!).
  • One never know when the APP will be hacked by people we don't want to "cross the path" or by any government (all have full control over telcos through national laws)
  • One never know when the cloud will be hacked too.
  • Decos are better located behind a decent armored home/firewall router. I use it in AP mode for this reason. one tool, one function, one device.
  • Cloud means "the user no more owns its data". It is better staying at home than floating in a "place" nobody knows.
  • One never known when TP-link will open the specification of X50 protocols for interoperability in order  to allow any customer to "forget" this APP when it will be no more supported.

It is possible to extend this list as long as anyone wish... So give us a webUI or if you don't want to fit a webUI in your product, please, go to SDN (software defined network) and publish your specs if you don't want it to go into production : free software will follow soon based on ESP32 or RaspPi devices, i believe !

Perhaps build us a nice cheap little tiny SDN controler containing a webUI to control and setup any TP-link home device with full independence and autonomy if you want SDN to go in production and don't forget to open your interoperability specs to your customers.

But keep the APP for tech illiterates, not for everybody.

Don't forget that now the paramount of security, or at least one of it is a "No-trust policy" in network architecture for home or business.

Thank-You.

Regards,

Eric.

Options
2023-12-20 17:51:40

@TP-Link

Almost 2024 and we still need this basic function!  Advanced users use thier computers to setup static address and other critical functions that is a royal pain in the a$$ with a 6" screen!  The app for monitoring and minior tweaks is great but for more advanced users it is a pain.

I was planning on recommending a Deco mesh network to my sister's in-laws (70's) and my aunt (80) but they live in a higher populated subdivisions.  But I can't in good faith recommend a product to someone that has zero networking knowledge.  The only good side is I can manage their network from home (30 miles away) but if I can't recommend less congested channels what is the point?

Also would like to see a funtion to tell the mesh network to ignore certain channels.  In my area EVERYONE is using channel 5, Why can't we tell the optimazation to use any other channel or channel 5 is off limits?  If my network was running on 4 or 6 I am sure I will not have the annoyances.

Options
2023-12-20 19:37:22

@Yewtink if you are waiting for them to have a web interface for Deco products, dont bother, as this will NEVER happen

if you want that or need that, buy a different brand, other than Deco

Options

Voters 171

+ 167 Voters