Daily Inquiries about Deco

2022-02-21 12:08:40 - last edited 2022-07-12 02:40:01
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Here, I will share some common inquiries that I have received every day and other users might have the same confusion after installing the Deco.

Q1: Can I mount Deco to the ceiling/wall?

A1: Deco products are not designed for mounting installation and there are also no mounting drills around Deco. The most recommended way is always to place Deco on a table/desk/shelf about 1-1.5 ft. in height in the open air, not in a cabinet for excellent coverage. We have some suggestions in the following article also:

How can I find a suitable spot for my Deco?

However, if mounting is a necessity, there are some third-party mounting brackets available on Amazon and you could search for "Deco M5/X60 mounting".

And if you are interested, Deco X50-POE will support mounting and we are strating a survey about it and you could spend some time and help me complete the following survey:

Deco X50-POE Survey

Q2: How can I use Deco APP on a new phone?

A2: Please log into the same TP-Link email ID on the other phone. And if you just want to share a limited control with some family members, a manager account is recommended.

Q3: Can I take Deco overseas?

A3: No, it is not recommended. The following reasons are what we are concerned about:

1. TP-Link did not provide an international warranty. Visit the Warranty Policy in your region to understand it better.

2. The wireless regulations would vary in regions.

3. The power supply standard and power adapter size are different.

Q4: Does it require resetting the Deco if I have switched to a new service provider?

A4: It depends. If the new service provider applies for the same internet connection type with no additional configuration, Deco should be plug and play after switching to different providers.

Q5: Will my EAP225-outdoor or RE605x work with Deco to extend the coverage?

A5: Deco Mesh, OneMesh, and EAP Mesh are different branches used under different network scenarios. Go through this article to know the difference between them:

TP-Link Omada Mesh VS Deco Mesh VS OneMesh™: What's the Difference?

Even though they cannot be used to create the same seamless Mesh, you could still connect them together to extend the wireless coverage. But if you haven’t purchased one yet, please choose additional Deco instead to extend the coverage.

Q6: Do I have to disconnect my modem router when trying to set up the Deco?

A5: Many users have this inquiry because there might be a separate phone service bound to the ISP modem/router or there are already a bunch of smart home devices connected to the ISP router's Wi-Fi and didn't want to set all up again. We don't have to disconnect the ISP modem router and Deco will still work fine behind it.

But considering you have two routers in one network now, you might possibly get double NAT issue.

In this way, you could change Deco to be an access point-How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

and the different between router and access point modes-What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Q7: Did I need to wire the main Deco via Ethernet cable all the time?

A7: Yes

Q8: When it comes to internet connection type, what did I choose?

A8: The internet connection(Dynamic IP/PPPoE, etc.) is decided by the internet service provider and you might need to have a check with them first.

Q9:How to get the WAN MAC address of Deco when my ISP needs MAC authentication?

A9:There are two ways to get the WAN MAC addresses:

The first one, which is also more recommended, is to try to manually clone the WAN MAC address to be the same as the LAN MAC address.

How to Configure MAC Clone on Deco?

Manually put the LAN MAC address into "Use Custom MAC Address"

The second suggestion is that the WAN MAC address is based on the MAC address on the bottom label(=the last character of label MAC(hexadecimal)+1).

For example:

xxxxxxxxxx87------>xxxxxxxxxx88

xxxxxxxxxx8F------>xxxxxxxxxx90

And the detailed discussion could be found here(Deco X20 WAN MAC address).

Let us know if you want to know more.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Daily Inquiries about Deco
2022-05-01 08:15:56

@TP-Link On Q1, I have successfully mounted my main M9+ on the living room wall and find it to be a good solution. I did it using a self-designed 3d printed mounting bracket. See thing:4441436 at thingiverse.  I cannot observe any negative effects from wall mounting, connection speeds etc. are the same.

I would recommend TP-link provided an option for wall mounting in the future. Wall mounting also provides better cooling.

Options
2022-05-02 13:38:15

@cacb 

Thank you very much for sharing.

I do see there is an outdoor model on the plan which supports wall/ceiling-mount and POE and hope it will come soon.

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-20 01:30:41

@TP-Link

This post saved me from returning my Deco W3600, so thank you for that.

I'm a part time systems/network engineer managing all kinds of Juniper, Force10, Cisco, Brocade, Fortigate, etc gear and #9 cost me a few days and many white hairs - putting the LAN MAC on the device label is backwards for a consumer device. Flies in the face of every other consumer grade router, AP, bridge, or network device I've ever had, where the MAC on the label is the WAN MAC - and it's there because you need it to identify it on the network and program your firewalls before passing it off to an end user.

Instead of a nice smooth out of the box experience, I spent far too much time trying to figure out why this thing wouldn't DHCP after I'd properly plugged the MAC into our DHCP configs and network filters.

Not only do you display the wrong MAC on the bottom of the device, you double down and display the wrong MAC in the app too, right on the "Unable to connect to the internet" screen. If I can't connect to the internet, I don't care about the LAN MAC.  Why would the LAN MAC be on that screen?

I stumbled into this thread out of sheer luck and I'm 99% confident this will fall on deaf ears, but you can probably save yourself some returns if you fix the labels...

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1914

Replies: 3