RE305 very hot after 30~ minutes losing connection completely

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-06 17:39:54
Tags: #very warm
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: RE305(EU)_V4_210602

Just bought and installed this repeater from amazon. It connects to a Vodafone Station (1 gbps FTTH) right away both to the 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi bands.
Connection and speed look stable (just a slight ping increase on both bands).
Positioning of the repeater is good.
After some time (1 hour after first install, 30-10 min after first reset) every device gets disconnected from the extender which, in the meantime, is very hot and the 5Ghz led shuts down while the remaining 3 are lit and stable.
I can't connect to the repeater with any of the devices (nor on the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz). The only time I managed to connect to it with my laptop internet was not working and I couldn't even get to the repeater access page (tplinkrepeater.net) even when connected to it. Internet is working normally when connecting directly to the modem.
Also, I tried a different outlet but the same thing happens.
A temporary solution is to manually disconnect and reconnect the extender from the wall outlet (which is very cold in contrast to the extender) but you can clearly see that this is very inconvenient and only works for 15 minutes or so.

What should I do now? Is this a heat related issue? Did I get a defective unit?

While waiting for your response I thank you for your time.

Options
3 Reply
Re:RE305 very hot after 30~ minutes losing connection completely
2022-08-08 03:12:54 - last edited 2022-08-08 03:13:55

Hello  @sxx 

As an electrical appliance and a network device, Range extender will generate heat and could feel warm when operates on 24/7, if you found range extender is too hot to touch, please check some suggestion here. 

• Please make sure you have put RE in a cool and well-ventilated environment
  • Try some tips in FAQ below make sure RE works in the required operating temperature,  keep the device away from direct heat, and avoiding put device in an enclosed space etc. 

Is it normal if my TP-Link devices feels warm?

Environment Operating Temperature: 0°C~40°C (32°F~104°F) 
Storage Temperature: -40°C~70°C (-40°F~158°F)
Operating Humidity: 10%~90% non-condensing
Storage Humidity: 5%~90% non-condensing

You could also try to adjust Coverage of range extender to intermediate Coverage, this will sacrifice some coverage but reduce the transmit power of the extender. 

If still the same, you can contact the retailer to change a new one and test the performance and temperature on the replacement unit. 

Best regards. 

Options
2022-08-08 09:02:52

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your quick response. After tinkering for a bit I went ahead and set the coverage to intermediate on the day of my first post. Repeater is still hot (but I guess I can tolerate that and it seems to work within operating temperature range) and the connection looks stable albeit it marginally slowed.

Naturally I would like to use the repeater at "full power" out of the box without having to reduce its power and coverage just because the connection gets unstable and the repeater stops working. So, my question at this point is: is reducing the power to get a stable connection intended behavior or do I need to consider a replacement?

While waiting for a response I thank you once again for your time and patience.

Options
2022-08-09 05:44:50

Hello   @asx sxx 

If the range extender works in the required Operating Temperature: 0°C~40°C (32°F~104°F)  but still got very hot, you could consider getting a replacement unit from the retailer as a comparison. If the replacement has the similar temperature, that means it's the common heat generated on the extender in your current environment.

Hope this helps. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 528

Replies: 3

Tags

very warm
Related Articles