What is EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?

What is EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?

106 Reply
Re:What is Wi-Fi EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?
2022-10-24 14:22:14 - last edited 2022-10-24 14:43:24

looks like my AX73 is on the compatible list for EasyMesh, except I would need to upgrade my RE305 extenders.

If I were to update my AX73 with firmware with EasyMesh, will OneMesh still be available and I can select which technology to use?

I hope ethernet backhaul is on the top priority of features for EasyMesh, otherwise I don't see the benefit of switching to it

Options
Re:What is Wi-Fi EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?
2022-10-25 03:16:12

@taemo 

Completely agree. Ethernet Backhaul would be the most important part of upgrading to EasyMesh, however, it is not supported in the first stage. I hope you guys could release new firmware to support Ethernet Backhaul soon. Please @Kevin_Z 

Options
2022-10-25 06:08:28

@Paris_lly @taemo

Thank you both for posting on the community.

As confirmed with the development team, EasyMesh is planned to support Ethernet Backhaul in the near future via firmware updates or new hardware. While we don't have much to share with the community now. I will update the thread once the new features are available, please subscribe to the topic to get the most recent updates.

@taemo Yes, EasyMesh and Onemesh will be both available when the new firmware adds the EasyMesh in the future. You can still use Onemesh if the RE305 doesn't support EasyMesh in the future. But I guess Onemesh will not get the updates with Ethernet Backhaul.

Options
2022-10-25 15:00:11 - last edited 2022-10-25 15:37:24

@Kevin_Z thanks for the reply, are we able to run both EasyMesh and OneMesh at the same time or only one technology at a time.

Would be nice if I can use EasyMesh between 2 AX routers and OneMesh between the main AX router and my RE305, but if I can only run one at a time, I dont mind updating the RE305

Options
2022-10-26 05:47:30

taemo wrote

@Kevin_Z thanks for the reply, are we able to run both EasyMesh and OneMesh at the same time or only one technology at a time.

Would be nice if I can use EasyMesh between 2 AX routers and OneMesh between the main AX router and my RE305, but if I can only run one at a time, I dont mind updating the RE305

@taemo If the main TP-Link router support both EasyMesh and Onemesh, you can use EasyMesh between the two routers and OneMesh between the main router and the extender. 

We currently have Archer C80, RE550, and RE700X support EasyMesh, I have updated that in my original post. If you have two Archer C80 routers, you can build a seamless mesh network via EasyMesh now.

Options
2022-10-26 12:16:23

@Kevin_Z Really? Archer C80 now supports easy mesh?  I already have one Archer C80 and plan to buy another one, does it work only in router mode or in AP mode as well?

Options
2022-10-26 14:10:03

@Kevin_Z this is great news, didn't know you guys were quite ahead on the EasyMesh development. I assume ethernet backhaul is currently not available on current release?

I have an AX73, just sold my backup AX55 last week but will buy another one once EasyMesh is available for both routers and ethernet backhaul is supported.

Can you please confirm if ethernet backhaul is also available for the extenders or just for routers?

Also, I don't use my TP-Link routers as main router, just as APs. is it possible to run the main as AP but still able to support EasyMesh and OneMesh?

Right now I have to run my AX73 as router but it can't access the internet because I don't use the internet port nor can change the LAN default gateway.

Options
2022-10-27 08:31:36

nyonyo wrote

@Kevin_Z Really? Archer C80 now supports easy mesh?  I already have one Archer C80 and plan to buy another one, does it work only in router mode or in AP mode as well?

@nyonyo Yes, Archer C80(US/JP/RU)_V2.20_1.12.0 Build 220924 and later versions have already added the support for EasyMesh. EasyMesh only work in Router mode.

Options
2022-10-27 08:39:43

taemo wrote

@Kevin_Z this is great news, didn't know you guys were quite ahead on the EasyMesh development. I assume ethernet backhaul is currently not available on current release?

I have an AX73, just sold my backup AX55 last week but will buy another one once EasyMesh is available for both routers and ethernet backhaul is supported.

Can you please confirm if ethernet backhaul is also available for the extenders or just for routers?

Also, I don't use my TP-Link routers as main router, just as APs. is it possible to run the main as AP but still able to support EasyMesh and OneMesh?

Right now I have to run my AX73 as router but it can't access the internet because I don't use the internet port nor can change the LAN default gateway.

@taemo You are correct, Ethernet Backhaul is currently not available, it only allows you to build a wireless backhaul now.

Both the EasyMesh Wi-Fi routers and extenders will support Ethernet Backhaul in the future, you may wait and buy one when that is available.

As replied to nyonyo, EasyMesh is only available when the router is working at Router mode. There is a plan to implement EasyMesh when the router works in AP mode, however, there is still no estimated time yet. Sorry about that.

Options
2022-10-27 09:33:04

Kevin_Z wrote

Yes, Archer C80(US/JP/RU)_V2.20_1.12.0 Build 220924 and later versions have already added the support for EasyMesh. EasyMesh only work in Router mode.

Both routers must be in router mode? Unfortunately, there is no V2.20_1.12.0 Build 220924 and later versions in my country, does this mean all planned devices will also work only if they are the newest versions? I thought we just need to update the firmware..very disappointing😞

Options