Deco P9 V2 - 100% CPU issue and WiFi disconnections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-14 11:30:58 - last edited 2023-05-23 03:37:34
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I have the 100% CPU issue and some problems relating the WiFi connection of some of my devices, that randomly disconnect and reconnect to the network. I can see this problem also with a device that 20 minutes a day streams a light video feed to the network: it randomly disconnects from the WiFi, causing the interruption of the video streaming.

As I read, it seems that there is a beta firmware that can solve some problem. @David-TP , can you please help me?

Many thanks

4ndr3w

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 V2 - 100% CPU issue and WiFi disconnections-Solution
2023-05-11 09:23:18 - last edited 2023-05-23 03:37:34

@mertsoy @4ndr3w 

Hi,  you could try to install the beta firmware here and check whether it helped with the current issue:

Deco P9 V1/V2 build 20210616

@4ndr3w I might not be technical enough to say whether it is a software bug or not, and I tend to think the WiFi disconnection is a compatibility issue among different brands due to core technical barriers. like I often see old smart home devices have a constant issue with new Mesh Technology and smart home devices work better with their own WiFi hubs.

@DizzyQueenCA @Nadid 

I used to check with the engineers and they explained the number of the satellite Mesh nodes would be the main course of the CPU load. Then it would be the number of online clients. The network activities also matter but not too much.  You might notice that the CPU load is on the web UI only. The hardware will need to sync the network data in a short time first, then you could see it on the web interface after logging in. In this way, the CPU load is usually quite high the moment you log in to the web UI, then drop to a certain level later, I think, which might be another reason that Deco is still not planned to enrich its web interface. It temporarily drags down the CPU performance especially when some models do not have enough CPU processing capacity.

Since it is just a one-time issue and I also confirmed with the senior engineers the overload CPU would not cause any further issues, I often suggest users not focus on the CPU load a lot, and try to check whether the clients are experiencing any performance issue about the speed and stability.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco P9 V2 - 100% CPU issue and WiFi disconnections
2023-03-15 03:36:11

@4ndr3w 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

Have you noticed any Deco P9 turn red during the disconnection?

Could you please help me check whether satellite Deco P9 links with other P9 over PLC/WiFi Backhaul?

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/598426?replyId=1177244

I see you had the P9 for a while. Did this issue just start recently?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-03-16 14:23:01

Hi  @David-TP ,

all P9s are connected to an ethernet switch by dedicated ethernet cable:

The video source is connected in WiFi to the main P9 (kitchen) and the receiver is in WiFi too. The issue occurs even the receiver is connected to the main (Kitchen) or other P9.

I didn't noticed the red light.

I tried disconnecting all others WiFi devices, except the source and the receiver of the video streaming.

I also changed the receiver using a laptop, but the issue remains.

If I use another WiFi Access Point, all looks good.

I started notice the issue two months ago when I installed this video streaming system at my home. The system works well in the old context where it was previously installed and it works well if I use another WiFi access point. So, I think I can exclude an issue in the streaming device (and also in the receiver).

Please, let me know if I have to test other scenario of if I can provide more info.

Many thanks!

4ndr3w

Options
2023-04-05 12:03:51

Hi @David-TP ,

I'm still experiencing the issue. Could you please tell me if it could be a software bug of the Deco P9?

This behavior is causing me a trouble.

Best regards,

4ndr3w

Options
2023-04-12 23:34:47

@4ndr3w @David-TP I hope that what you read about beta firmware fixing it is true, and in that case I also want that beta firmware please.. can you PM me? I also notice sudden red blinking on one or two sattelites in AP mode, and sometimes main unit blinking which disrupts whole network, but when it is sattelite unit that a mi box connected, TV stream pixxellates or freezes for a few seconds, or sometimes cuts out for 5-10 seconds. TP-Link should fix this issue and SUPPORT their products, especially P9 with working firmware that is not 2 years old....

Options
2023-05-10 12:45:28

@David-TP  and all:

I am having the same issues, and have even had the P9 v1. 0 set replaced (June 2, 2022) - I also added a 4th deco (an E4R, it appears, although I had ordered a M4), and the P9's are All Ethernet backhauled... Am running the cable for the E4R Ethernet backhaul later this morning... Any update as to why the CPU is always pegged at 100% and I have to power cycle 4 to 5 times per day?

Thanks

Kevin Harrington MCDST 

Options
2023-05-10 13:58:23

Hi all,

I didn't receive any answer. @David-TP : could you please give us support?

Options
2023-05-10 22:51:15

@DizzyQueenCA i have same problem. Rslly very cacatúa

Options
Re:Deco P9 V2 - 100% CPU issue and WiFi disconnections-Solution
2023-05-11 09:23:18 - last edited 2023-05-23 03:37:34

@mertsoy @4ndr3w 

Hi,  you could try to install the beta firmware here and check whether it helped with the current issue:

Deco P9 V1/V2 build 20210616

@4ndr3w I might not be technical enough to say whether it is a software bug or not, and I tend to think the WiFi disconnection is a compatibility issue among different brands due to core technical barriers. like I often see old smart home devices have a constant issue with new Mesh Technology and smart home devices work better with their own WiFi hubs.

@DizzyQueenCA @Nadid 

I used to check with the engineers and they explained the number of the satellite Mesh nodes would be the main course of the CPU load. Then it would be the number of online clients. The network activities also matter but not too much.  You might notice that the CPU load is on the web UI only. The hardware will need to sync the network data in a short time first, then you could see it on the web interface after logging in. In this way, the CPU load is usually quite high the moment you log in to the web UI, then drop to a certain level later, I think, which might be another reason that Deco is still not planned to enrich its web interface. It temporarily drags down the CPU performance especially when some models do not have enough CPU processing capacity.

Since it is just a one-time issue and I also confirmed with the senior engineers the overload CPU would not cause any further issues, I often suggest users not focus on the CPU load a lot, and try to check whether the clients are experiencing any performance issue about the speed and stability.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-05-20 21:09:42 - last edited 2023-05-20 21:10:31

@David-TP Sorry but the link is broken, it doesn't download anything. 

"Please go to TP-Link Offical Website to get products, software and services for your region.

Visit official TP-Link website >

"

Options
2023-05-23 03:38:08

@mertsoy Thanks for the notification. the link has been updated.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 529

Replies: 10