Votes

Give more control over wifi channel selection/force use of preferred and non overlapping channels

Votes

Give more control over wifi channel selection/force use of preferred and non overlapping channels

2023-07-26 13:28:09 - last edited 2023-07-26 14:17:01
Tags: #Access Point Mode #wifi channel selection
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20230420 Rel. 77020

There needs to be more control over which wifi channel the deco selects or atleast allow us to select non-overlapping channels or specify preffered channels.

I have just spent the best part of an hour trying to get my old phone connected but it couldn't even see the mesh network, the optimize network feature in the app finally changed the 2.4ghz channel from 12 to 6 and suddenly the phone could see the deco mesh network and connect. I feel users should have more control over this as the phone not being able to see the network has proven that letting the deco decide isn't always best for compatability. Old devices need connections too.

Also I've always been told that channels 1,6 and 11 are best for the 2.4ghz band as they do not overlap, but also I'm thinking some devices might not support channels over 11 as in the case of my old 2017 LG phone it couldn't even see the wifi mesh network until the deco's decided that channel 6 was better. I have been trying to optimize it over and over and it was only a stroke of luck it finally decided to change channel as it was reporting that everything was perfect until just then.

It would make troubleshooting manually easier also.

tl;dr old phone couldn't see the mesh network when it was using 2.4ghz channel 12 but could when it was using channel 6, there needs to be way to select preferred wifi channels rather than relying on the optimize feature in the app.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Give more control over wifi channel selection/force use of preferred and non overlapping channels
2023-07-27 07:41:53

@Alexmesh 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

Along with the firmware upgrade, Deco will be optimized to avoid using channels 12-13 on the 2.4ghz. But it still hasn't been approved to allow manually customizing the wireless channels for each band.

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Give more control over wifi channel selection/force use of preferred and non overlapping channels
2023-08-18 09:33:40

@David-TP Any more news on this? I had to do a channel optimization last night and now I'm stuck on 2.4ghz channel 12 again and some devices can no longer see the mesh network.

Options
2023-08-26 06:40:47

@Alexmesh I totally agree, this suggestion should be implemented.

Particularly avoiding to use chanels like 2 or 3 for example, which is really strange.

Options
2024-01-28 19:50:51

I just purchased a new Deco mesh system and did the Wi-Fi network optimization.  It selected channel 2 for 2.4ghz.  it should only select from 1,6,11 in USA.  This is terrible. How can this be overlooked this long?

Options
RE:Give more control over wifi channel selection/force use of preferred and non overlapping channels
2024-02-28 13:00:42
Agree with the need for this as Deco is horrible at selecting the best channel
Options
2024-03-08 12:10:44

@David-TP 

Can we get an update on this? Are there any plans to implement the ability to select channels manually? You can actually see drop down lists in the web interface but they disappear after a split second. Can we please get this feature added?

Options
RE:Give more control over wifi <span class='search-highlight'>channel</span> selection/force use of preferred and non overlapping <span class='search-highlight'>channels</span>
2024-03-29 17:06:45
Necessary!
Options

Information

Helpful: 11

Views: 616

Replies: 7

Voters 9

+ 5 Voters

Tags

Access Point Mode
wifi channel selection