Votes

Missing IPv6 port forwarding (in 4/5G router mode)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-27 13:48:09 - last edited 2023-07-28 09:36:51
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20230523 Rel. 60824

I recently cancelled my fibre subscription and instead purchased a TP-Link Deco X50-5G mesh router.

Very satisfied with overall performance so far but I have one big issue.

My mobile connection ISP (Telenor Sweden) uses CGNAT for IPv4 connections efficiently stopping me from hosting any servers over IPv4 using my 5G connection.

However they do support IPv6 and since I'm pretty used to IPv6 from work I was happy to see that my X50-5G indeed had been assigned an IPv6 WAN address from my ISP.

On the internal LAN, my Synology NAS also have been assigned an IPv6 address using the same IPv6 /64 address prefix.

So far so good. (even though it would also have been nice to have more control over the IPv6 address assignment with options for SLAAC, PD etc.)

Anyway, I then went to the "Port Forwarding" settings in the Deco app in order to add the necessary ports for my Synology NAS but quickly noticed that the current port forwarding interface only supports IPv4. I also tried finding some way of disabling the IPv6 firewall rules all together but there are no options to do this as far as I've found.

Further searches on the TP-Link community shows that the lack of IPv6 port forwarding seems to be a common thing for most TP-Link routers with a few exceptions such as recent support in the Archer AX10 (according to this post).

Most (at least Swedish) mobile broadband ISPs seems to be using CGNAT for their IPv4 connections. This combined with a gained interest in using 5G mobile routers as a good alternative to fibre access will probably just increase the need for good IPv6 support and specifically IPv6 port forwarding the months/years ahead.

So I humbly ask you to please put IPv6 port forwarding as a (hopefully prioritized) feature to add for the Deco X50-5G 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Missing IPv6 port forwarding
2023-07-28 05:49:29

@Teppic 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, like Archer AX10, Deco X50-5G also supports configuring IPV6 firewall rules under wireless router mode, but it is not supported under 4/5G router mode.

It has been reported to the engineers before but so far there hasn't been a clear roadmap.

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Missing IPv6 port forwarding
2023-07-28 09:35:05

@David-TP  thanks for the swift reply.

Have only used the X50-5G in 4/5G router mode so wasn't aware that it actually is supported in the wireless router mode.

Since the underlying support is in place I hope it will (soon) be added also for 4/5G router mode.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 397

Replies: 2

Voters 3