Help on installing a new mesh system with a few requirements

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-28 14:59:57 - last edited 2023-08-28 15:01:22
Model: Deco X20   TL-SG2428P   EAP650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there!

Sorry for my English as its not my primary language 😉

I need some help on the devices i should buy to install a new network. I have read a lot about mesh system and it seems what i would like to use, ex.:https://www.tp-link.com/ae/blog/1296/tp-link-deco-mesh-vs-easymesh-vs-onemesh-vs-omada-mesh-what-s-the-difference-/

https://www.tp-link.com/mesh-wifi/

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1794/

I have an ISP router with 4 gigabit ports and WiFi 2.4/5Ghz with support for guest networks. I need to replace the switch that currently feeds the lan ports in several rooms and add 4 spots for WiFi inside the house and 1 spot for WiFi outside the house. I have LAN ports and eletricity on the rooms i'm goint to add the WiFi spots, but i can also use PoE to simplify the instalation.

One company advised me to buy:

TL-SG2428P - JetStream 28-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with 24-Port PoE+

EAP650 - AX3000 Ceiling Mount WiFi 6 Access Point

EAP650-Outdoor - AX3000 Indoor/Outdoor WiFi 6 Access Point

OC200 - Omada Hardware Cloud Controller

I have some questions that i need help with:
- The easy way to have a mesh WiFi - a unified WiFi so that when i go from room to room i can automatically connect to the same WiFi name and password - i think this is called roaming?. Ex.: Deco X20 video shows me what i think is what i need on this regard: https://static-product.tp-link.com/deco-x50-poe_v1/img/onemesh.mp4 - However i can't understand if the EAP650 can work the same way because the video doesn't show's that: https://static-product.tp-link.com/eap650_v1/img/Seamless-Roaming.mp4

- Use the same network and the ISP router, and for this i believe i need to use the WiFi spots as Access Points, however from what i understand toi use Deco's i need to have one Deco as router and the other on'es as access point, and this would break "having the same network as the router ISP". I primarily need to have the same network as the ISP router, so that i can connect and use IPTV boxes from the ISP, because if its a diferent network from the ISP router, the IPTV boxes won't work.

- Can i use the same WiFi SSID and password from the ISP router on the other WiFi spots, or should i use a different one?

Thanks in advance!

NOTE: I'm goint to publish this post on the other related TP-LINK forums

Options
2 Reply
Re:Help on installing a new mesh system with a few requirements
2023-08-29 09:09:21

@FCTS 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I saw Philbert here has answered most of the questions about Omada Mesh Solutions so I might talk more about Deco Mesh.

Deco also has Access Point mode which works quite the same as EAP devices so that you can only have one router, then change the Deco SSID to be the same as the ISP router(or you could also try to turn off the Wi-Fi on the ISP router and leave Deco to take over all the wireless network.)

Deco is a home-grade Mesh system. Compared with EAP devices, its advanced features would be less than Omada business access points, such as Deco does not support separated SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. Both the configuration and management control are via the Deco APP, not the web UI interface. Basically, if you are looking for a simple and easy control Mesh system, Deco X50-POE would be a better choice. But if you seek for more network customization, Omada EAP650 would be a wonderful choice.

What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Help on installing a new mesh system with a few requirements
2023-08-29 15:18:47 - last edited 2023-08-29 15:38:47

@David-TP 

Thank you very much for your help!

With the help of Philbert here i also understood that what i need isn't mesh but seamless roaming!

I don't really need advanced network customizations, its for a 2 floor house, mainly open. My main requirements is that WiFi works well and stable, with good internet speeds and i can achieve a good WiFi distance. Separated SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5Ghz and configuration and management control via web GUI are not issues.

But if i may, i would like to ask some more questions about the Deco system:

- Can i connect several Deco's (X50-POE or X20), each with it's own lan cable, directly to the switch and enjoy seamless WiFi, maybe using them just as acess points? The switch is connected to the ISP router and we don't mind having the ISP router's WiFi on with a different name or turning it off.

- If this would be possible, i have to manage the Deco's indidually and only via Deco app, but do i need to be on the network or can i manage them via internet?

- Does PoE works with any standard lan cable or do i need some type of special cable?

- Do you know the max cable distance between the PoE Switch and the PoE EAP?

- Is there any way to know the distances the WiFi signal reaches (+-)?

- Can you recommend Deco's with the better WiFi distance and stability?

Thanks again!

Options