Deco Mesh setup bridge confusion!!!! TPlink support cant figure it out...

2023-11-27 01:36:12 - last edited 2023-11-27 04:21:29
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

UPDATE: spent a few hours with live chat, and they can't figure it out. They said a technican will need to get back to me. I couldn't get a straight answer if bridge mode needs to be set up.

Hi all, I'm in a bit of a pickle. This should be simple.... 

I need help setting up the x20 to an existing VR400 modem router on a TPG FTTN connection.

The essence of my question is: when setting up bridge mode for the modem/router I receive a conflict because the vlan ID is the same for both the pppoe settings and the bridge. 

My question: can I just leave the VLAN ID as 0 for the bridge. And then use VLAN ID 2 for the FTTN? 

Or am I suppose to only put the modem/router in bridge (with correct VLAN), and then enter the pppoe credentials into the Deco unit during setup? 

I get to the end of setting up the deco and the red light is on the base and not internet available. 

Basically what I've done, or think I should do. 

Create pppoe connection for my FTTN (VDSL + credentials + TPG I believe uses VLAN ID 2. Pretty straight forward. 

Then, as per recommendation from TP Link, I put the modem router in bridge mode. From what I can see I create a new connection and choose "Bridge Mode". (This is where the conflict happens). 

Then I go through the Deco setup, which asks for the modem to have the internet light on before moving past the next step. That would imply the pppoe credentials need to be configured on the modem first. 

Please let me know if you need any other info. I went with TP Link mesh as the modem was TP Link, thinking it would be an easy setup....😳

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco Mesh setup bridge confusion!!!! TPlink support cant figure it out...-Solution
2023-11-27 04:21:20 - last edited 2023-11-27 04:21:29

@Goremans  Solved.... 

1. deleted the pppoe in modem, created a bridge only connection (VLAN 0 for TPG FTTN), then 2. force closed the app (android latest Samsung kernal/ app was already the updated to latest), 3. cleared the cache!

Many hours spend on live chat.... at many points I asked about bridge mode, to which it was ignored and other options explored.  (though it was likely the apps cache holding onto previous network settings). Still this clearing cache should be an option offered by support staff. Instead we went around in circles checking and tripple checking credentials. Big waste of time. Started at 9am and now 3.20pm/// but have the green light!

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco Mesh setup bridge confusion!!!! TPlink support cant figure it out...-Solution
2023-11-27 04:21:20 - last edited 2023-11-27 04:21:29

@Goremans  Solved.... 

1. deleted the pppoe in modem, created a bridge only connection (VLAN 0 for TPG FTTN), then 2. force closed the app (android latest Samsung kernal/ app was already the updated to latest), 3. cleared the cache!

Many hours spend on live chat.... at many points I asked about bridge mode, to which it was ignored and other options explored.  (though it was likely the apps cache holding onto previous network settings). Still this clearing cache should be an option offered by support staff. Instead we went around in circles checking and tripple checking credentials. Big waste of time. Started at 9am and now 3.20pm/// but have the green light!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 308

Replies: 1

Related Articles