Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E

2023-12-24 23:15:19 - last edited 2024-01-09 06:52:13
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3

Hi.

I have 3 XE75 setup as APs with ethernet backhaul.

2.4/5ghz ssid is setup and 6ghz ssid is setup. I see both when searching for wifi.

but I also see a different ssid with wifi 6E that has random numbers and letters as name. (zEQQ8ZV3L9N...)

so its not hidden and the mac address is the same as the 6ghz mac except for the last nr

ex: 6ghz mac= aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:a3

unknown wifi 6E ssid mac = aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:a2

it is also at the same dB as my wifi6ssid so I am convinced its the XE75 producing the ssid.

is it the wireless backhaul? shouln'd it be hidden?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E-Solution
2024-01-09 06:52:08 - last edited a week ago

@Nobby0_15 

@raven-au 

@Warpy 

@Nick682 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

I got further updates from the engineers.

This SSID is used for 6Ghz Backhaul, which is hidden by default. However, after turning on the 6G main WiFi, this SSID will no longer be hidden.

The reason why we set this SSID as not hidden is to help the 6GHz client quickly discover the 6G signal. In our tests, if the 6G backhaul SSID is hidden after turning on the 6G main WiFi, some clients cannot quickly discover the 6G signal.

Even though This SSID is visible, It is encrypted by default and the security could be guaranteed.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E
2023-12-25 02:45:34

@Warpy 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Did you enable the Guest network before?

Could you please help me run a simple test:

1. Please enable The Guest network temporarily. Then disable the Guest network ( make sure all 2.4+5+6GHz bands are disabled) once again.

2. After that please check again whether you are still able to detect one more 6GHz SSID.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-12-25 08:42:58

@David-TP 

Thank you for your responce David.

When enabling both 2.4/5 guest network and 6ghz guest network. The unknown ssid is gone.

When I disable either the 2.4/5 , the 6 or both guest networks again. The unknown ssid comes back.

It is also password protected. None of my known passwords work on it.

Greetings

Options
2023-12-27 02:27:41

@Warpy Hi, Thanks for the reply.

While it is just the opposite of what I expected. Can you share some screenshots about the "unknown SSID", maybe also with the MAC address?

(You could send it to support.forum@tp-link.com as well if you prefer.)

By the way, if you temporarily turn off all Deco XE75, Will this mysterious unknown SSID disappear as well?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-12-28 13:56:37

@David-TP 

Thank you for your help David!

this issue is forwarded via mail to support.forum@tp-link.com

When issue is resolved I can post the fix here for future reference to anyone who might experience the same.

Greetings

Options
2024-01-01 19:09:44

I'm having this same issue. Have you found a solution? 

Options
2024-01-01 21:56:58

@Nick682 

Hi Nick.

Ticket is open at TP-link support desk.

still waiting on anwsers.

its prob. been busy during the holidays. so I expect an anwser this week.

greetings

Options
2024-01-05 19:37:59

@Warpy Just throwing my hat into the ring. Experiancing same odd SSID on 6e. Ver 1.2.7

Options
2024-01-06 02:57:19 - last edited 2024-01-06 02:59:48

@Warpy yes, I have seen this unusual SSID on the XE75, it also appears on the BE85 in the same way as described here.

And the question still hasn't been answered as to what it is since it's clearly the firmware doing this deliberately.

So is it the case that engineering doesn't know what this is?

Perhaps Qualcomm can answer the question then!

Options
2024-01-06 09:57:31 - last edited 2024-01-06 10:07:05

@Warpy 

an update on the matter.

I am sorry but I chickened out.

And I will not be persuing this issue further.

I will however check if the above email is legit.

what happened:

I got in contact with the support email mentioned above.

an TP-Link engineer from china contacted me to set up a remote access appointment.

This via teamviewer (first red flag) and requesting the use of putty, which is a ssh tool (quite unsafe so second red flag)

my phishing senses were tingeling but hey I can be wrong and this forum and the e-mail seemed very legit so it must be my imagination.

I did some research and found on the TP-Link website, they dont do remote sessions and only do remote session is extreme cases. (third red flag)

when the remote session was going on he wanted to install debug firmware on my deco. (forth red flag)

I found this very odd and all of my internal phishing alarm guts were screaming. so I started to google around for any phishing/hacking around TP-Link.

found out last year a chinese hackergroup was distibuting bad firmware around the EU. (fifth red flag) so I decided to pull the plug on the remote session.

I re installed the original firmware and did a factory reset.

I am sorry to all who are waiting on a sollution and to all TP-Link personel who were helping me if this was indeed legit.

however, in today's world where phishing, social engineering and hacking are so prevelant, I felt extremely unsafe in this interaction.

I rather live with this extra ssid than having a risk of a network compromise.

I will be going trough the official TP-Link support page to verify if my interaction was legit.

greetings.

Options
2024-01-07 13:47:57

@Warpy I have to say you are being sensible and I agree with you, there is definitely something wrong with the request made of you.

Fact is the foregoing conversation is clear evidence the problem is easy to duplicate so there is no need to intrude on customer networks.

It is possible the person is ligimitate and is simply barely competent!

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1533

Replies: 17

Related Articles