Playstation Portal cannot connect outside home network

2023-12-28 12:24:35 - last edited 2024-01-09 16:26:53
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello 😄 

I recently got the Playstation Portal. It is great, but for some reason, i can't seem to connect to my Playstation from outside my home network. This should be possible, and many in the online community are saying how they're enjoy using it on Christmas holidays abroad, or even using phone hotspots while travelling. I've tried my own phone hotspot, my wifes, and two other networks outside my home but none will allow me to connect even if the speeds are more than enough. 

It leads me to think it has something to do with my Deco mesh setup. I've even tried reserving the Playstations IP as well as port forward some recommended ports for remote play using the Deco app. I also tried switching from  wifi router mode to access point, but it didn't help either. Security settings are disabled, so it's no firewall setting. 

Weird thing is when I try to connect with the portal, i can see my Playstation starting to stream data for a short while in the Deco app. It always stops, though, and my portal just says "Something went wrong"

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Playstation Portal cannot connect outside home network-Solution
2024-01-09 16:26:49 - last edited 2024-01-09 16:26:53
I finally figured it out. It was because my ISP had me behind a CGNAT (which many appapparently do by default). All I had to do was write to their support, asking for a dynamic IP. This changed the NAT type of my network from 3 to 2, and now I can connect to it over my phone hotspot. There is also an option to get a public static IP for additional cost, but that shouldn't be necessary.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Playstation Portal cannot connect outside home network
2023-12-28 12:33:24

@pseudonymdk 

Options
2023-12-29 06:47:37

@pseudonymdk 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

It is suggested to refer to this link to check whether Deco X60 is under a double NAT network:

Double NAT

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-12-29 18:17:14

@David-TP 

Hello David, 

Thank you so much for the suggestion. It could very well be the reason! However, 

1. Just tried this - no internet came through in the Deco network after. It seems the ISP provided router is doing something to translate the incoming signal from outside to something usable. Don't know what I can do to remedy this. Are Deco X60's even capable of being the main router on a network, or is "just" a mesh system?
2. Tried this afterwards, following the guide I found here: https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360001482220 

After disabling IPv4 firewall, I first tried just setting ADSL to bridge, it had no effect.Then I tried setting all three (ADSL, VDSL and ETHWAN) to bridge, and then no internet came through at all, and even the admin panel for the router was no longer accessible, neither was the Deco app. I had to factory reset the ISP router to get everything back to a working state. 

3. I tried 3 even before posting the original post - no effect on that, either. 

Do you have any other suggestions I might look into?

Options
Re:Playstation Portal cannot connect outside home network-Solution
2024-01-09 16:26:49 - last edited 2024-01-09 16:26:53
I finally figured it out. It was because my ISP had me behind a CGNAT (which many appapparently do by default). All I had to do was write to their support, asking for a dynamic IP. This changed the NAT type of my network from 3 to 2, and now I can connect to it over my phone hotspot. There is also an option to get a public static IP for additional cost, but that shouldn't be necessary.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

@pseudonymdk 

Hello,

Just bought PS Portal but i can not connect to PS5, being outside of home. Got in contact with Sony, and they suggested to open following ports, TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480. UDP: 3478, 3479, and all the ports from 49152 to 65535.

My set up is: Service Provide Router as bridge, wired to a TPLINK Archer as internet distribution to DECO MESH (tplink) wired to PS5. I opened as in the picture the ports, but still is not working.

r/PlaystationPortal - PS PORTAL not connecting to PS5 outside home

I tried to open in TPLINK ARCHER setting the ports for two IPs it does not allow me. on the other hand when trying to connect from outside, i can see in DECO APP that PS5 is online, but while trying to connect the speed is very slow.

r/PlaystationPortal - PS PORTAL not connecting to PS5 outside home

Any ideea what i could do more?

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3907

Replies: 5

Related Articles