Setting Up a Wired Mesh Network with Two TP-Link Routers and Repeaters

2024-02-07 14:23:56 - last edited 2024-05-17 03:52:52
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hello TP-Link Community,

I'm planning to set up a mesh network in my company using two TP-Link routers.

Because right now, we have the problem that our router is too far away and the repeaters do repeat the signal but it's to weak and we can't use it for browsing or video calls.

The objective is to have both routers connected via Ethernet cables and to incorporate mesh repeaters for extended coverage. Here are the details of what I intend to do:

1. I will position the two routers at different locations within the company premises.
  2. Both routers will be wired connections.
  3. I want these routers to be part of the same WLAN mesh network.
  4. In addition to the routers, we plan to use mesh repeaters to ensure comprehensive coverage.

My questions are:

• Is it possible to set up two wired TP-Link routers in the same mesh network?
  • Can these routers simultaneously support wired connections and manage the mesh repeaters?

I would appreciate any advice on the setup, especially regarding the compatibility and configuration of the routers and repeaters in a mesh network. If there are specific models or settings you recommend, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Options
12 Reply
Re:Setting Up a Wired Mesh Network with Two TP-Link Routers and Repeaters
2024-02-07 17:44:29

@Cassiopeia23 

Here's how to connect two routers in easymesh with ethernet backhaul.

Satelitte devices (routers, REs) can be either wired or wirelessly connected to the main router if they support an ethernet backhaul.

For a wireless connection of the satellite devices you can use this video guide.

They all would be in the same subnet once the easymesh was built.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-08 09:04:56

@terziyski 

Ok, that sounds great, which means it's only possible with EasyMesh technology if I've researched correctly. So, I would need to buy two new routers and one repeater.

Now, the question is whether I can integrate these routers into the same network as the rest of our company. Since both seem to be connected via WAN, can I route the clients behind the EasyMesh into the office network of the company?

I'm facing the same issue as described here https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617894?replyId=1318002

The problem is due to double NAT issues.

Because of our monitoring server and the fact that our office computers need access to printers in the EasyMesh network, I need to ensure that the networks can communicate with each other.

This wasn't possible with our previous setup

Options
2024-02-08 09:32:51

@Cassiopeia23 

Yes, you can do that only with Easymesh supported devices (routers also have to supports an ethernet backhaul).

Follow this suggestion of mine and check if that works for you.

The OP has managed to configure this setup in his home and he confirmed that working.

AP mode for Easymesh has been planned but unfortunately only AX55 (AFAIK) supports it at the moment.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-09 09:22:07

@terziyski 

Thanks a lot for all the information provided. I have a question regarding EasyMesh. If I have connected one router as the Mesh master and want to add another router as a satellite device as shown in the video, does this router need to be connected to the Mesh master via LAN?

My concern is that if the Mesh Master is connected to the WAN port, it distributes its own subnet. So, if I want to connect a satellite device router to it, the satellite device cannot also be connected to the normal network via its WAN port, right? I believe it needs to be in the same subnet as the Mesh master, correct? If so, I need to figure out a way to route the network to the office using VLANs.

In our hall, the Mesh master router is connected via the WAN port to the 192.168.0.0/24 network, which runs throughout our entire company. This means the master has, for example, the 192.168.4.0/24 subnet which is distributed to the clients.

This leads me to wonder if the second TP-Link router also needs to be in the 192.168.4.0/24 subnet to function as an additional Mesh repeater with a LAN connection, enabling it to be connected via LAN in the office.

Options
2024-02-09 09:23:04 - last edited 2024-02-09 09:23:25

PS: I got a DM from OP from the other Post and he said that he still has the problem with the repeater as I do. So even in AP mode everything works fine but when adding a repeater nothing seems to work.

Options
2024-02-09 13:05:15

@Cassiopeia23 

Here's a guide on how to build Easymesh over an ethernet backhaul. Once added to the Easymesh, a satellite device can be connected to either LAN or WAN port.

All nodes (master router, satellite devices) would be in the sane LAN subnet.

It's just the master router that you have to configure according to the post I mentioned (Case 2) so it would work in router mode, because Easymsh is not available in AP mode yet.

in this scenario the master router device works in router mode but it's not doing a NAT - we call that "manual" AP mode.

I don't know if that will work for you - the OP from the other thread has built that in his home, but he may still have problems in his office - I wouldn't know that.

Options
2024-02-13 12:03:01

@terziyski I fixed it now by using AVM Fritz Box and Repeater. This was MUCH EASIER than the TP Router and Repeater Configuration.

I'll give TP Link another chance after summer for our other company, but this setup what I tried to to with TP Link took my days with errors and not working devices and with AVM Fritz and Repeater I could just use the Router in my LAN without WAN and I could connect any Repeater to this Mesh without easymesh. That took my 20 minutes.

When I did this with TP Link Repeater my whole Wifi collpaed as soon as the reapeater went online.

Options
2024-02-13 12:46:42

@Cassiopeia23 

I have to admit that the Easymesh is still in development and there's a lot of work to be done so it could be as agile as a user would want it to be.

I am seeing lately some whole home mesh systems that look promising - just don't know their availability on the market (probably targeted for ISPs).

They include indoor and outdoor units, ethernet backhaul and probably Easymesh in AP mode (like this beta FW for AX55 v1).

Options
2024-05-16 08:44:23

@terziyski how do you know if they're capable of backhaul?

Is there a list which shows comparable capabilities ie easymesh, vpn backhaul etc I am sick of buying your products for one feature to find it doesnt do another feature.

Options
2024-05-16 08:53:37

@Trevsmith 

Here's the router models that support an ethernet backhaul. By the way, I'm not a TP-Link employee.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3832

Replies: 12

Related Articles