Deco X50/X55_V1_1.5.0 Support WireGuard VPN, Client Speed Limit and Fixed WAN Port

Deco X50/X55_V1_1.5.0 Support WireGuard VPN, Client Speed Limit and Fixed WAN Port

2024-02-27 09:13:45 - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco X50   Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

This Article Applied to

Deco X50/X55_V1_1.4.1

Firmware Modifications

1. Support WireGuard VPN Server/Client. 
2. Support built-in easy configuration of NordVPN/Surfshark VPN.
Note: In compliance with local regulations, the Third-party VPN feature may be restricted in specific regions.
3. Add client speed limit under clients' detailed setting page.
4. Support Fixing the WAN port under Deco APP>More>Advanced>WAN Port.
5. Add Scene Priority under QOS.

6. Add Client MAC Identification to improve the accuracy of device detection.
7. Add more device icons in the Deco APP.

Download Link

Deco X50_V1 Deco X50_V1_1.5.0_build_20240408 Beta Firmware- updated 2024.4.16
Deco X55_V1 Deco X55_V1_1.5.0_build_20240408 Beta Firmware- updated 2024.4.16

Note:
1. Please be sure you have read the Terms and Conditions for TP-Link Beta Firmware before proceeding.
2. *According to the user feedback and our further test, this 1.5.0 beta version does not support reverting to 1.4.1 via downgrade firmware recovery directly.

-Ever since 1.3.0, the firmware bin file has been over 32MB which passes the maximum file size of the HTTP uboot upgrade tool. So if you want to revert to 1.4.1, please refer to the following suggestions:

• Still run a firmware recovery on one of the satellites Deco X50 first.
  • Try to upload an older official version, 1.2.2_Build_230301.zip for example, 
  • Then update to 1.4.1 from 1.2.2 via web UI.
  • If this process works for the satellite Deco X50, We could repeat it on the main Deco later.

3. Please make sure the Deco APP is up-to-date.
4. Some features might not be available when there are other models in the Mesh network.

Configuration Procedure for the Newly-added Features

WireGuard VPN Server& Client

NordVPN/Surfshark VPN

Client Speed Limit

Manual Selection of the WAN Port

Set Scene Priority under QOS

Options
103 Reply
Re:Deco X50/X55_V1_1.5.0 Support WireGuard VPN, Client Speed Limit and Fixed WAN Port
2024-02-28 17:43:32 - last edited 2024-02-28 18:01:23

@David-TP It fix ignore of preferred Deco settings for devices. At least for me. It was such a pain for wi-fi cam in my 5 deco unit system.

Opps, my bad... Still ignoring settings. both: connection prefference and disabled mesh technology. At least now it initially connects to the right unit for a while and then switch to whatever it want.

Options
Re:Deco X50/X55_V1_1.5.0 Support WireGuard VPN, Client Speed Limit and Fixed WAN Port
2024-02-28 22:36:30

@atypicalone  one of my satellite was ignoring preference and mesh after installing this. I had to reboot it a few times to get it working again. 

Options
2024-02-28 22:42:09 - last edited 2024-02-28 22:43:45

There seems to be a delay with the scene acceleration between say watching Netflix and have the app appear under QOS as accelerated

Also can someone explain the differences between scene acceleration and device acceleration please. Can I have both a device accelerated and a scene that device is running at the same time. For example a scene with Netflix and a device TV how does QOS work in this instance?

Finally if I set bandwidth control on a device and then add that device to QOS. Does that bandwidth limit get ignored? .

Options
2024-02-28 23:29:52 - last edited 2024-02-28 23:31:11

@David-TP 

Hi David, thank you for the Beta software update, updated 2 of my Deco's X50 through the web browser manually with the provided file.

One good thing I notice about from this round of firmware update is that Tp-Link has improved its device detection through MAC address feature, namely Client Identification, hope you can add in that into the patch notes for the official firmware release and hopefully for all of the Decos in the future as well.

Also, more icons has been added to further identify the IP devices that is present on the network, which I find it very useful in helping us to tag individual devices correctly and accurately.

Moving on to the QOS, I'm still having troubles on understanding how it works, because when turned on with Scenes Selection, my bandwidth is throttled to half most of the time (my ISP is 500Mbps currently) despite setting accelerated devices under it, I found out that using Speed Test by Ookla I need to set it under the Utilities App function, but if I want to remove all the Scenes, it does not allow me to do so once set.

The only way to go about it, is to set a custom scene, and then remove the others, and then finally deleting the custom scene manually by scrolling to the bottom part of it.

Hopefully Tp-Link can release this future firmware as soon as possible for the other Decos as well, we need ECO and this soon.

Options
2024-02-29 02:47:10

@atypicalone 

Hi, May I know the model number of your mobile devices that don't respect the connection preference?

@Unwell_Cat 

Hi, you and atypicalone both mentioned connection preference, I will report to the engineers first and hope they can further optimize this feature. 

@Omochao 

Hi, Thank you very much for the comments.

So far, you all might have some confusion about the QOS feature.

Here are some details for your reference:

1. If I set bandwidth control on a device and then add that device to QOS, the bandwidth would still work.

I think it is more like, a normal person runs first but slowly, while an athlete runs later but fast.

2. The differences between scene acceleration and device acceleration.

You can have both at the same time.

literally, if you set gaming scene acceleration, the gaming packets on different devices would have a higher priority than other packets during traffic communication. For the devices under device acceleration, all the network packets on this device would have a higher priority than other clients during traffic communication. If both of them are enabled, the gaming packets on the very computer outrun other traffic on the same device.

3. Currently, once "Scene QOS" is enabled under QOS, it can't be disabled. If you want to remove the previous scenes, you might need to add another first.

4. When QOS is enabled, it conflicts with the NAT Boost/Hardware NAT. The CPU will be used to deal with NAT throughput, which might affect the network speed due to the limit of CPU Performance.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-02-29 03:42:32

>>Hi, May I know the model number of your mobile devices that don't respect the connection preference? 

@David-TP 

dahua dh-sd2240db network ptz camera and logitech harmony hub - both 2,4 ghz IOT network

Options
2024-02-29 05:51:33 - last edited 2024-02-29 05:57:22

@David-TP  thanks for clarification. As my connection is slow 70up and 18 down am I better off using device or scene acceleration or the per device bandwidth limiter.

Most of the traffic would be  browsing, gaming and streaming.

On another point how does this new scene based QOS compare to something like eero's SQM?

Options
2024-02-29 20:29:32
can you still manually setup the DNS 1.1.1.2 8.8.8.8 is there a option for doh dns over https /3 doq dns over quic
Options
2024-03-01 06:49:42 - last edited 2024-03-01 06:52:40

@tonyjp2022 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

The 1.5.0 hasn't added this feature yet. It is planned to support this feature on Deco.

Best regards.

@Unwell_Cat 

Hi, the engineer didn't share any comparable details with other QOS services so I'm not sure what it likes compared with Eero's SQM.

Best regards.

Options
2024-03-01 10:36:58

@David-TP  fyi, I have a scene setting with Netflix in it and have been streaming Netflix for the last hour without it showing up in  accelerated apps.

Options